Plumbing conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to resolve couple of plumbing issues at home. Spoke to couple of plumbers who are eager to do what I want done, as opposed to advise on what is the right thing to do. I want to be better informed to take a decision. Here it goes:

The property is on a gravity fed system (cold water in the loft, hot water tank in the airing cupboard).

Issue 1- Upstairs bath room is fed by a shower pump with a manual mixer shower. While taking a bath, if water is used in another part of the house, water in the bath turns cold.
Issue 2- Downstairs shower room is fed by an electric shower. While taking a shower, if water is used in another part of the house, water in the electric shower get scalding hot.
Issue 3- Low hot water pressure in the kitchen, bath room and shower room sinks. Cold water pressure is fine. Not high, not low.

Solution set A:
Issue 1- Replace manual mixer shower with a thermostatic mixer shower
Issue 2- Replace electric shower (cold water supply only) with a thermostatic electric shower (cold water supply only)
Issue 3- Install a hot water only pump in the house
Supply & installation quote received- £1200

Solution set B:
Issue 1- Replace manual mixer shower with a thermostatic mixer shower
Issue 2- Replace electric shower (cold water supply only) with a thermostatic electric shower (cold water supply only)
Issue 3- Remove the shower pump. Install a whole house pump (cold and hot water feeds). Re-route pipes for bath to the whole house pump
Supply & installation quote received- £1600

Solution set C:
Issue 1, 2 & 3- Do not replace mixer shower or electric shower. Remove the shower pump. Install a whole house pump (cold and hot water feeds). Re-route pipes for bath to the whole house pump.
Supply & installation quote received- £800

Any thoughts from anyone on what approach should be taken to resolve the issues? Main concern is that my disabled elderly dad and my toddler son use the shower/bath and the sudden spike/drop in water pressure is turning a bit of a nightmare.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
You got an old 15mm pipe to house?
Neighbour had a 22mm polypipe fitted replacing 15mm copper that burst. Amazing flow and pressure to the house now. I'm keen to replace ours if I could afford it as a luxury.

To answer. Not my area but the whole house pump sounds ok. Power showers in the 90s seemed to die a death though. Too much like standing under a jet wash I guess. House pumps seem to work better though keeping flow rate up from what I've seen.
Thats all I know...Not much help though sorry

Sounds like your electric shower isn’t fed off the incoming supply which it should

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back