Postcrete for brick laying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What can you add to postcrete to stop it setting so quickly, sand? plasticiser? Washing up liquid?, I only have 7 bricks to relay...thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean cement rather than postcrete?

If only doing 7 bricks you should be ok without any additive.

Mortar plasticiser is used to keep the mortar usable for longer

4 parts sand, 1 part cement, splash of plasticiser

You'll probably only need 1 bucket of mix

You can buy small bags of ready mixed mortar...

Postcrete makes concrete not mortar, it sets too fast, and perhaps worse also contains stones that will make it impossible (although I bet some have) to use as mortar.

You can easily and cheaply get premixed mortar (even from Amazon!!!).

Spend the £12 on the real thing....

Sponsored Links
Do you mean cement rather than postcrete?

If only doing 7 bricks you should be ok without any additive.

Mortar plasticiser is used to keep the mortar usable for longer

4 parts sand, 1 part cement, splash of plasticiser

You'll probably only need 1 bucket of mix
No I mean post'crete', I know it's concrete but the only difference is it's got stones in and sets quicker so if I add more sand, I've taken all the stones out with a fine garden and washing up liquid, will this work?

What can you add to postcrete to stop it setting so quickly, sand? plasticiser? Washing up liquid?, I only have 7 bricks to relay...thanks
I'd say the cement in the mix is a different compound to normal 'portland' cement.
Just go and buy a bag of ready mixed motar. Save yourself lots of hassle!

No I mean post'crete', I know it's concrete but the only difference is it's got stones in and sets quicker so if I add more sand, I've taken all the stones out with a fine garden and washing up liquid, will this work?
Please, PLEASE video you attempting to lay bricks with postcrete.
That's right up there with underwater hair dryer. (y)

Postcrete is designed for fast setting and poor strength. It does not meet the normal standards of concrete. You will see on the label that the manufacturers warn against trying to use it as a building material.

Do you feel you have a need for fast setting cement? Or are you attracted by the idea of buying a small amount of premixed product?

Postcrete is ridiculously fast setting. I've used it for its intended purpose with fence posts, you only need to hold the post for a couple of minutes before it grips it. Seive all the stones out, add a bit of plasticiser but it will still set before you finish mixing it.

Please, PLEASE video you attempting to lay bricks with postcrete.
That's right up there with underwater hair dryer. (y)
You can hold it when I switch it on then, I only asked a question haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back