Potterton 60E - replacing options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have trusty Potterton 60E (non condensing 17.58kw) that needs relocating as does the associated feed and expansion tanks in loft. Consensus is that due to age and availability of flue parts, it’s best to replace the boiler and take opportunity to upgrade.

The present system works fine, there are about ten rads, one bathroom with a monsoon pumped shower (no bath). Supply to house is 1/2” black poly pipe with a flow rate of about 15L/min with one tap full on (I don’t know pressure). I need to add a small UFH system for modest size extension (…….& as I said, the boiler needs physically moving to add the extension).

I guess I’m in the typical COMBI use case (with one bathroom / low demand) and I can see the installation convenience - but what do you think of them ?

I was leaning more toward a SYSTEM BOILER and perhaps a MEGAFLO (or similar) in the loft space ?

Grateful of advice
Thanks D

Sponsored Links
We used to have a Potterton profile 60e boiler. We had the whole heating and hot water system upgraded to a sealed system with unvented hot water. Boiler was about 20+ years old at the time. Worked fine for a couple of years but when it started making noises we decided to cut our losses and changed it for a heat only Vaillant. Been fine for the last 7 years.

With a system boiler, a few of the system components are inside the boiler casing and you normally have to use original parts. With a heat only, the parts are outside the boiler casing so are generally easier to access and you have options when they need replacing so usually cheaper. Well, that’s my understanding of it….

Thank you Mottie - I hadn’t considered that.
In my ignorance, I thought ‘System Boiler’ was just the modern phrasing but now I see ‘Heat Only’ is different again.

=======================================

In light of Mottie’s post maybe I should reframe my original post questions -

I guess I’m in the typical COMBI use case (with one bathroom / low demand) and I can see the installation convenience -
but what do you think of them ?

I was leaning more toward a SYSTEM HEAT ONLY BOILER and perhaps a MEGAFLO (or similar) in the loft space ?

Thanks D

you will need to upgrade you cold supply to the house for a megaflo 15l a min is insufficient for proper function of a megaflo

Sponsored Links
Thank you - that’s helpful to know that 15LPM is insufficient for a MEGAFLO.

- I guess that steers me more toward a COMBI where the 15LPM is more tolerable ?

- Or could I add an accumulator like a Stuart Turner Mainsboost in loft space ?

Thanks D

One thing about storing your hot water in the loft space is that it will seem like an age waiting for the hot water to reach the ground floor taps. Same thing with a combi in the loft.,

One thing about storing your hot water in the loft space is that it will seem like an age waiting

I think I’m going off the loft idea(s) and leaning toward simplicity of a COMBI.
Maybe a VALLIANT or WEISMANN (with stainless heat exchanger) in airing cupboard after present tank comes out.

Stay away from viesman limited parts availability for future breakdowns

viesman limited parts availability
Thanks and noted - that is surprising.
I’ll take a closer look at VALLIANT.
Probably the ecoTEC plus.

Thanks D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back