Powering house from your car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
eFIXX has learned that British brand myenergi is developing a special EV charger which can power your home from your car it's set to be the UK's first mass Market vehicle to grid plug-in Point sources say the product could hit the market early in the New Year it's understood the launch will be released to coincide with the arrival of a host of mainstream vehicle to grid enabled electric vehicles.

That's all I know, my house I need around 6 - 10 kWh battery power so that I can run solely on off peak power and solar, I have 3.2 kWh and considering a second battery.

Using the vehicles battery when I only use car maybe twice a week, (if I had an EV) would remove the need to buy a second battery for the house, however hard enough juggling the power use now, without having to also consider when one is going shopping as well.

Sponsored Links
i 100% agree and like the stored energy/ and efficiency and love the fact using spare car and other vehicle batteries in system can store energy from generation for use
now to my eyes you will need to commit to a regime to allow the "grid" to rely on your storage when not in use to get the best value all round the more you commit, the cheaper your energy cost
now iff you commit to 5 days "use " off your batteries and suddenly go away for a weekend to the welshpool and and llanfer ---- railway would it cost you massively for removing the storage capacity from the system i dont know??

How much will a new battery setup cost you?
How much will doing this degrade the battery in your car and what's the cost for it's replacement?

AFAIK You will also need a big contactor setup to isolate your house from the grid when you do this.

Must hurt to be paying £200 plus a year standing charge after all these investments, maybe a decent generator?

At one time, if my house was super insulated, I considered converting the boiler to LPG - at the moment it seems the more I save the less I save.

Sponsored Links
Since it has not been released yet, there is no info. The existing system I have the battery cost just over £1000 each, it will support 4 batteries at 3.2 kWh each, each one can charge at 2 kW and discharge at 3 kW, but my inverter is rated 5 kW so most I can use from the battery is 5 kW, at moment one battery which yesterday lasted until 9 pm.

The gain from solar panels saves me around £40 per month, and the battery around £20 per month, so looking at what paid out against return and the battery saves me more than the solar panels, so well worth while.

However we have seen how the uptake on solar panels has resulted in warmer climates like California, there is more power than they need, so as the years go on we will likely see the off peak tariff not being such a good deal, at the moment 8.95p to 31.31p per kWh means it is well worth charging over night, and using in the day. But for how long that will be the case is another question.

I can see how a car used once a week for weekly shopping could be used as a battery store, even taken to work in the day, to use what is left over until midnight when off peak cuts in may help.

But my static battery not only moves off peak power to peak times, but it also takes in solar and means we have at all times 3 kW available even when we have a cloud come over. Not sure an EV which is not at home during the day is going to help that much?

The 59.14p per day standing charge, £216 per year will always be there, however can't see that would cover the service charge for a generator, so still better being connected to the grid. Looked at LPG and one does not buy the tank, so your tied to a supplier, and you have basic a bomb in your back garden, think I am better off sticking to oil.

I was surprised moving from a house with mains gas, to a much larger one with oil, expected bills to go up, but no, oil is working out cheaper than gas. I still have a open fire just in case. I remember winter of discontent, never again will I buy a house where no mains electric means no heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back