Prepping, repairing and redecorating internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help.

We had some damp coming in that blistered and discoloured the paint work on our internal walls. The issue has been solved and now I need to redecorate the internal walls.

Few things I've noticed and direct questions on:

- I could just keep peeling the paint off, think maybe the decorators didn't use a decent primer before water based paint? When should I stop peeling off the paint? I've currently made cuts to finish a section

- how far back should I scrape/sand? Looking at the walls, they've a few layers of paints, filler etc on them!

- discovered a crumbling hole next to window sill, is standard filler ok for this?

I'm new to this and have started stripping the walls and got to a point where it'd be great to get advice on next steps! Aside from the questions above, what would you do to finish the job from here?

Cheers,
J

Attachments

• PXL_20240626_134344418.jpg
    PXL_20240626_134344418.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240626_134333628.jpg
    PXL_20240626_134333628.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi J,

For repairing the water damage, I would scrape off all flaking paint, sand the wall flat getting rid of any edges where there are layers of paint (an electric sander is best for this) then apply 2 coats of Zinsser Cover Stain (you can get this from Screwfix/Toolstation/decorators merchant) it drys pretty quick but follow the instructions, then you can fill any holes and paint.

For the crumbing holes (if its old hardwall and its wet like damp sand then you have a damp issue in those areas, if its dry as a bone and crumbing I would rake it all out until its sound then use Bonding (it will be near the bags of plaster in B&Q, watch youtube videos on how to use it, use that to fill the big holes and leave a few mm in so when its dry you can use filler to build out to the wall, you dont want to use the bonding flush to the wall as it leaves a horrible texture.

For the filler I would use Toupret (screfix etc)

Good luck

@BenDec Thanks! Really helpful. With the scraping of paint, the paint that isn't flaking or blistering also just comes off, peeled easily off once took damaged paint off...should I be basically taking all paint off and redoing whole wall?

Also, regarding sanding down...should I be taking everything back to the darker looking base in photos? There's a lighter colour layer, which I'm guessing is from filler and yellow looks like old adhesive?

Cheers again, J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back