Problems with condensation in garage

What source of heat would you recommend that would be practicable and efficient?

Sponsored Links
That would depend upon what the practical options are. Can a rad on your central heating system be installed? If not then maybe an oil filled electric radiator if you have power.

The thing not to use is a Calor Gas heater as these produce lots of water as a by product of combustion and could actually make things worse.

In the first instance just try any portable electric heater you have to hand and see if it works. My diagnoses may not be correct, so don't go spending money until you are confident that it does.

To be honest I would normally use a hygrometer and calculate the u values of the walls and roof to help me diagnose this sort of problem, it can be very difficult to figure these things out even after doing that.

At this point my opinion is based largely on the idea that there is no apparent reason why the air in the garage should not be in both temperature and humidity equilibrium with the air outside and if that is the case there is no more likelyhood of condensation occuring on the inside of the walls than on the outside. It may well be something else that isn't obvious, for example something you have stored in the garage, some source of moisture that I haven't thought of (a leaking pipe maybe).

I have only once come across a case of clear night radiation in a garage (mind you I have only once been asked to look at a supposed "condensation" problem in a garage) and in that instance the garage had a metal roof. Clear night radiation is normally associated with metal roofs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back