Project "House"

Hi Bon

Yeah there's roof space, and i did consider moving the tank up there but was advised against it. I was considering replacing the tank anyway (as i think a combi boiler might be too hard to fit) so it may be just as well moving it up there.

A friend recommended i look at "smart tanks" or whatever that means which increase the water pressure. Can you offer any insight as to what to look for?

Cheers

Kev

Sponsored Links
kevinwebster83 said:
Yeah there's roof space, and i did consider moving the tank up there but was advised against it.
Any reason for this?

Sorry kev, but I've never heard of a "smart tank" but do know that you can't improve your flow / pressure above what the incoming supply is.

You basically have two options to improve your flow for a shower, either raise your tank or invest in a pump.

There really isn't a reason why the tank can't be moved into the roofspace (provided it's lagged), especially as you're on a tight budget as you'll just need some additional tube, fittings & time as opposed to shelling out for a new boiler if you were to go down the combi route.

My old uni lecturer used to reckon that all heating/domestic water plant should be stuck up in the loft and out of the way.

No, neither had i to be fair. I never really saw any reason why i shouldn't put the tank in the loft, it might mean opening up the loft hatch a bit but that'd probably get done anyway as i'd like to put a small office up there (eventually).

Can't really remember what reason i was given to not put the tank up there but i seem to remember maintenance access, loft hole expansion and no airing cupboard being some (i'm sure there was a more fundamental reason, honest).

Thanks for the advice though, really appreciated. Especially as this is my first ever house and have very little clue about what i'm getting myself into...

Kev

Sponsored Links
kevinwebster83 said:
I understand your point however, this is only a really small house (2 up, 2 down) and there is just myself and girlfriend - for a family home its very impractical.

The header tank lives in the bedroom taking up quite a lot of space that could be used as a wardrobe/storage and to open the room up a bit. The water pressure is also very low, and as no shower is present at the moment then i've been advised that a combi boiler (or changing water tank but i'd prefer to remove it) is a better option.

Kev

If water pressure is low then a combi may not work. If the pressure is high enough to get water up to loft than fit a tank up there. If nothing else the toilet cistern will refill in a few minutes from a tank, rather faster than a slow fill from a low pressure mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back