Pull-up bar created holes in plasterboard above the door - Advice, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm decorating the flat and this needs sorting before I can start. I've looked around and have seen some possibility, but I'd like to know how people would tackle this. It seems quite a lot of work to do a proper job? Removing a large section of wallpaper for starters?

A pull-up bar (the type that hooks right onto the door frame) caused this.

IMG_20240903_092947.jpg
IMG_20240903_093009.jpg
IMG_20240903_093018.jpg

IMG_20240903_093038.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is plasterboard on a wooden studwork frame, cut away the wallpaper with a craft knife, beyond the damage. Remove the architrave at the top.

Cut away the damaged plasterboard to expose the studwork that you are going to fix to.

Measure the thickness of the old plasterboard.

Procure some plasterboard and cut a rectangle big enough to replace the damage and fix to the studwork

Hold it up to the wall and draw a pencil mark round it

Cut along the pencil mark and cut out the rectangle.

You should now have a hole that your repair piece will fit into neatly

This is much easier that making a hole and trying to cut a patch that will fit.

Drill holes and fix the patch with countersunk screws, not nails, driving the screws slightly below the surface.

Use "joint cement" or "jointing compound" and a broad metal knife to fill the joints and hide the screws.

Use the minimum amount, pressed down very hard, and scrape off any excess before it sets

Do not overfill it and leave lumps that you will have to sand off later.

Examples

Thank you for the reply, I will certainly consider that.

It seems quite the task, at least to someone like myself who doesn't really know what they're doing or have the tools/materials at hand. I have practically no DIY experience, but I take pride in my "work" and am quite meticulous, so I'm sure I'll manage (he says), but this all sounds quite daunting. For example-- I had to look up what an architrave was, and I have no idea whether the plasterboard on a wooden studwork frame. I'd assume it was. God knows at this moment in time.

What would be the unprofessional but quick and easy fix?

I was thinking of:
-Removing the wallpaper up to the ceiling (if that's even possible without wrecking the "wall".
-Cut one of those square aluminum mesh patches into two (of small ones if that exist)
-Fill over it with the appropriate filler (whatever that might be) joint cement/jointing compound or pollyfiller?
-Add fresh matching wallpaper (I am already using a very similar matching paper on a wall in the same room.)

Bad idea?

IMG_20240903_0930092.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back