PVC Rubber Window Seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My rubber seals have discolored and i am wondering if i can replace, i am under impression these are e gasket types but not sure and not even sure if i can replace them.
I can show a couple of images, i can see a join on top middle of frame, this is the white seal that is against the pane of glass, they are double glazed.

Any help or advice would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• 20240701_105558.jpg
    20240701_105558.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240701_105608.jpg
    20240701_105608.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
I've replaced with black rubber using a sample pack off eBay and finding one that fits good enough to use, then buying metres of it off eBay

Did you cut a piece out from yours to find out what one it was once you had sample pack ?
Did it come out easily, i`m a bit worried i could take out and make worse, should this type come out ok ?

You replace from centre then out either side.
You cut about 30mm too long either side then squash in as the sun will shrink rubber over time.

Yeah. Should pull out.

I could not find anything the same but found one in sample pack that fitted ok.

Sponsored Links
I did the same but when I looked I dont remember seeing any white ones. I think the white looks better but I have black space bars whereas yours are silver.
My rubber was hardened and shrunk a little and I also first brought a sample pak they are about 2 -3 inches in length. I took out a short side from the window and cut it straight so I could get a better idea of its profile although shrunk a little I then offered it up to the samples.
After my sample test I still wasn't 100% sure so I only brought enough for one window as its ok pushing in a short sample piece but much different and harder if its too big when you are doing a whole length.
I then brought loads - its surprising how much you need when you add it all up.
I replaced one of each of the 4 lengths at a time around the window. Fully removing one and partly removing the other two at the corners so I could get to it.
On some of my windows the original fitter had just nipped the back of the rubber and bent it to fit in the corner, looked ok to start but those were the worst for shrinking and pulling away from the corner leaving a small gap.
I started at one corner and mitred them but it was sort of an overlapping mitre.
Make sure you are not stretching the rubber as you push it in as that will only exaggerate any shrinking

Thanks so much for your information.
I just tried to pull a little, it seems really wedged in and like it feels tight like its glued to pane side, i am so weary of trying to pull it out and then messing it up, you are quite sure it is just a rubber seal and not hooked under panel etc ? I was weary in case it needed pane out or similar, if it is simply easing it out and replaccing i am sure i can get a sample pack and find something close enough, even if black but white does look better.

Thanks for your advice.

Thats just mould, simple mould remover will clean that back to white.
That is true. The rubbers do not look that bad to me - just dirty.
As for them being stuck - mine were a little "sticky" - dry residue from original silicone grease then condensation - dust in the air, who knows what. I found it easier to start from a corner, its just fiddly to get it started, a narrow screwdriver but careful not to damage the plastic - or the glass. I actually use a metal work scribe tool that has a right angle bend one end and hat can get behind it and then just pull.

I tried to remove the mould, any good suggestion, i tried a mould remover and also the bicarb and vinegar and that was the result in teh images as i could not completely shift it, this was why i though i would see if easy to remove.
Any suggestions that may completely remove the mould ? I think it might be too stained but not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back