Quality Cookware

I used to like a thick anodised aluminium non-stick frying pan - about 6mm. They cooked beautifully on a gas ring, and lasted ages if you were careful. But since they started making them all induction safe, they've been ruined. Bonding a steel plate to the bottom really defeats the purpose. That's probably why you don't see them anymore.

Sponsored Links
Are they called "stone" coated or something similar?

They are the ones.. They do seem to be almost indestructible. One of them which I bought at the time, is a square griddle pan, one with undulations on the inside base, with the same stone coating. The ridges are too shallow, to form much of a pattern of the food, or maybe I'm not brave enough to risk getting the pan hot enough.

A Scoville Neverstick frying pan, about £15 and, again, clean, non-stick, and easy to keep that way.
As with all non stick pans wash under cold water with a soft brush and they'll last much longer, as opposed to leaving them with the residue until you've finished eating...

And the sizzle sound of cold water on a hot pan is a bonus!

Sponsored Links
Iirc, it specifically said to not use cold water on the hot pan, but to let it cool first.
Only if you fill it and leave it (can cause warping), but not if you only splash enough in (effectively boiling the water) simply to quickly remove the residue.

Got told this by the MIL, and in our experience I have to admit she is right :LOL:

We work fairly regularly in commercial kitchens.
About 3 years ago started seeing the chefs using nonstick pans with like a honeycomb pattern on them called hexclad that you can use normal utensils on.
After some banter with head chef I 'acquired a 30cm saute pan and lid .
Used daily still looks like new and no scratches.
Since then have bought some others called hex Guard look feel identical but much cheaper.

Last edited:
Only if you fill it and leave it (can cause warping), but not if you only splash enough in (effectively boiling the water) simply to quickly remove the residue.

Got told this by the MIL, and in our experience I have to admit she is right :LOL:

I would have thought it was that quick temperature change, when it's really hot and the water boils, which causes warping.

EDIT: But now I've thought about it a bit more, I can see that it might be true. Because a small amount of cold water isn't cooling it too much. Compared with dunking the whole pan into a sink full of water. I sometimes used to put a tiny amount of boiling water from the kettle in mine, just to loosen any burnt bits.

Last edited:
EDIT: But now I've thought about it a bit more, I can see that it might be true. Because a small amount of cold water isn't cooling it too much. Compared with dunking the whole pan into a sink full of water. I sometimes used to put a tiny amount of boiling water from the kettle in mine, just to loosen any burnt bits.
The MIL it indeed appears is occasionally right ;)

For cleaning a sticky, dirty non stick pan, you can’t beat adding a couple of cups of water, a drip of washing up liquid and putting it back on the hob for 5 minutes while you load the dishwasher up. A quick scrub with the dishwasher brush and run it under the hot tap. Job done.

My other half's mum likes to mix drain cleaner and bleach to clean the sink. We came home one day to find her gasping on the sofa, having mixed bleach with an acidic drain cleaner and made her very own batch of chlorine gas. Fortunately she only had minor exposure.

My other half's mum likes to mix drain cleaner and bleach to clean the sink. We came home one day to find her gasping on the sofa, having mixed bleach with an acidic drain cleaner and made her very own batch of chlorine gas. Fortunately she only had minor exposure.
My mate had a slow draining shower so he bought some drain cleaner and thought he'd put it down one night. Unbeknown to him, his wife had the same idea and put her stuff down the plug hole before going to bed. Neither had told each other that they had bought it. My mate was out on the pìss and put his stuff down when he came home late and he said it immediately gassed him. He managed to wake her up and she had to call an ambulance out and he had to go to hospital and stay the night under observation.

Sponsored Links
Back