Quick fix to water seal missing grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Not long moved into a house. The en suite shower cubicle has a few areas of missing grout. Depending on where you aim the shower there's water that can come through to downstairs.

I've been trying to get a tiler (also some cracked tiles in main bathroom) but to no avail. I feel like I need to make this shower cubicle at least watertight. What's the best quick fix (when not as worried about aesthetics). Ive bought some mapei waterproof grout so am I good to just smear onto missing areas or am I aswell trying to pull out all the old grout round about?

Also - and I know this is probably rough - is there any issue with just using a silicone gun and filling in any gaps with bathroom silicone sealant?

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Why don't you buy yourself a multi-tool, grind out the areas of poor grout and then press some new stuff in?
This is all that a professional would do.
Failing that, smear the whole lot with silicone sealant (make sure all areas are clean and dry). It will look sh*te and be an absolute mare to remedy later (you'll end up having to rip all of the tiles off and start again) but at least it will stop the leaks lol!

Why don't you buy yourself a multi-tool, grind out the areas of poor grout and then press some new stuff in?
This is all that a professional would do.
Failing that, smear the whole lot with silicone sealant (make sure all areas are clean and dry). It will look sh*te and be an absolute mare to remedy later (you'll end up having to rip all of the tiles off and start again) but at least it will stop the leaks lol!
Ha fair enough. Yo be fair I'm fine with it looking terrible, not sure the wife agrees though.

Out of interest, why do you need to remove all the existing grout? Can you not just fill in the missing bits? (I assume not but basically not sure why)

Sponsored Links
Ha fair enough. Yo be fair I'm fine with it looking terrible, not sure the wife agrees though.

Out of interest, why do you need to remove all the existing grout? Can you not just fill in the missing bits? (I assume not but basically not sure why)
It's a case of doing a proper job. When it's first tiled, it will have clean and clear spacing / spaces between the tiles. These will be 2mm,3mm or 5mm wide and the thickness of the tiles, deep. You want as best that you can, to replicate this. Thin slithers of grout will simply flake away. Have a look at a few Youtube vids on grouting. It's easy to do tbh. Don't use old stuff out of it's use-by date. It'll go on ok and even set but wash out almost straightaway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back