Quiet Mitre Saw..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have searched the forums but have not been able to find the answer, so creating a new thread..

I currently have a cheap JCB mitre saw I use in my DIY workshop. The saw itself is fine in terms of cuts, but when powered up it is horrifically loud. It has got to the point now where I am embarrassed to use it. I live in a linked detached house meaning the garage is adjoining my neighbours house and I am certain they can hear me using it VERY clearly! Not ideal.

Saw is some 10 years old and was cheap in the first place, so it doesn't owe me anything and it is about time I upgraded anyway.

So my question is, does anyone have a recommendation of a mitre saw that is particularly quiet?
The saw does not need to be particularly fancy, I am only using it for general DIY / hobbyist work, but it does need to be quiet.

As I am using the saw in the workshop almost exclusively, mains power is fine, having said that I have now accumulated a nice collection of Milwaukee cordless power tools.. So, it could be an option to go cordless on the mitre saw if the Milwaukee is a particularly quiet model.

Thanks all for any help you can offer!

Sponsored Links
i would say belt drive yes as no gear chatter
but the biggest problem is power and size
a small saw with a smaller motor can be quieter, so perhaps you need 2 quiet saws off different size and capacity

my dw712 240v is loud my 18v dewalt dcs365 is far quieter but less capacity

there may be a part acoustic solution like under saw rubber mats or on party wall sound deadening or even loads off shelving/storage to absorb sound

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

Out of interest, where would I find that info on item specs? Screwfix do not seem to state if the saw is belt driven or not?

Sponsored Links
Belt drive tend to be the more expensive often double bevel saws where the motor has to be more central above or towards the back off the blade to allow the maximum cutting capacity
My dw742 flip saw (both mitre and ripsaw) Has a belt drive and a induction motor and without load is no more than an basey electrical hum
Cutting wood off course is noisy but completely covers the motor noise where as my dw712 sounds like a tractor without load and increasing in volume with extra motor noise and blade noise in use

There are dB levels off sound on some saws but won't give you helpfull information as saw in use will give you the dB levels suggested but how that sounds next door through walls and air will be different

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back