Rafter end design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm making progress with my block piers, further to this thread:

For those that read that one, I have used hollow blocks (infilled with concrete) laid in pairs staggered and every 4th course it is keyed into the 9" brick wall, I've had to chop into it in some places, other places the keyed in parts happened to fall within an existing window opening (that I've blocked up anyway). Here's one of the piers, the hardest one! I'm just above the window now and will be casting the padstone in place in the next few days all being well. You can also see the remains of the existing roof structure. Excited to hear people's comments on my set-up and the state of the project :p

1718727507695.png

To briefly summarise, I am altering an existing outbuilding (to be used as a workshop) to have a vaulted ceiling by installing a large steel beam rested onto two piers at each end as illustrated in my sketchup model below.

1718726107794.png

I have come across an issue that is a result of my intent to retain the existing brick structure. This issue did not exist with the existing roof structure as the existing rafters are little 4" rafters resting on purlins and meeting at a ridge board. It's to do with the end of the rafter where it will meet the wall plate. The upper side of the new 7x2 rafters I will use will align with the upper edge of the existing gable end as seen in the above so retaining the same profile. The upper end will be beaked onto timber which in turn is fastened to the steel and then I will install collar ties across.

So what happens is this:

1718726801311.png

So I guess I will have to knock down a course or two of the existing walls to allow something like this, which will also allow me to fasten the fascia board too:

1718726949148.png

I'm not sure what issues this is going to create yet! Anyone had to do this or have an alternative idea?

Attachments

• 1718726038903.png
    1718726038903.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Sponsored Links
Anyone had to do this
Yes, often.

As I only build extensions (rather than new build), we are forever having to situate wall plates to suit the new trusses or deeper than existing roof rafters - rather than matching the existing plates.
or have an alternative idea?
Leave the wall plate in position and lay additional masonry to the existing gable brickwork, i.e. a feature corbel or some such?

Yes, often.

As I only build extensions (rather than new build), we are forever having to situate wall plates to suit the new trusses or deeper than existing roof rafters - rather than matching the existing plates.

Leave the wall plate in position and lay additional masonry to the existing gable brickwork, i.e. a feature corbel or some such?
Thanks for the reply. Good to know I explained my dilemma and that there are others that understand it!

I suppose in your business there are many variables that affect your decision, but the idea of adding more height to the gable to suit the wall plate position was an option I had considered.

What would you do in my situation? I am tempted to reduce the wall height, as adding corbelling to the gable end will be more time consuming, it already has one oversail soldier course that I’ve had to repair a few years ago and access and setup was a PITA.

Is reducing wall height something you’ve done in the past? I think some of the higher courses are loose anyway so it would save me some work having to relay them too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back