RCD not turning off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Just decorating my son's room and replaced a double socket with a USB one. Turned the electric back on and everything worked fine. Then went back downstairs to turn the sockets off again and flicked the upstairs sockets RCD to off.

However, this time the switch only went down two thirds of the way (not to the fully off position) and the electric remained on. If I put the switch up to the 'on' position, it will stay there without any problem.

Is this a faulty RCD and should I be calling an election in the morning, or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried just pushing the button - when it is ON?

If that doesn't switch it off then it should be replaced regardless of anything else.

With some. Top is on. Fully down is off and reset.
Middle is tripped off.
Middle could be not tripped and still on.

Pro may confirm this which is why i dodge electrics. Not my area.

Switches need resetting if tripped.

Do as above.

Also turn the lot off vs just that circuit in future

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me. It's strange as the first time it switched off without any noticable difficulty. On the second go this happened.

It's a bit annoying as it's all reasonably new and concerning as it doesn't particularly seem fail safe!
IMG_20221016_161726.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's an MCB and it's broken. Replacement required.

The RCD is the larger item to the left with the test button.

Thanks @flameport. I'll get an electrician in tomorrow. In the meantime. I assume that of there's an issue, the RCD would trip?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back