Re-drilling holes for curtain brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put up 3 curtain brackets (Left, Right, Centre) above a floor to ceiling new build window.

Unfortunately previous owner drilled pretty big holes using Redidrive screws. The holes must have widened over time and I also want to use different brackets. The existing holes are about 8mm across. Annoyingly the flat is freshly painted but I didn't realise how loose they were until the painter put them back up, otherwise I'd have got him to fill them.

The outer ones are fine as I'm going to go wider than the original holes (so will just clean, polyfill, sand, and paint them). But I'll need to fill the central one before redrilling (see photo).

The new brackets I have (see photo) requires 3 small screws that will go around the edge of the original hole once filledn (you can see where I've marked the 3 dots).

Done a fair amount of research and sounds like polyfill won't cut it. Some people say use an epoxy resin, but I have no idea which exact one to buy and how to fill it.

Recommendations of a simple solution very welcome. Note: If you could please link to exact products too that would be helpful, as I have no idea what I'm doing!

Thanks!

Updates/Edits: Guessing it's plasterboard (see new images attached). Sounds like for plasterboard you need longer screws for this from a quick Google. The screws the bracket came with are about 3.5cm deep.

IMG20240821194751.jpg
IMG20240822093532.jpg
IMG20240822093528.jpg
original_379c827e-fcd4-4562-9197-296eb03428ce_IMG20240822112731.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can always use the old way, a length of slightly oversized dowel banged in, cut flush and then screwed into.

Sponsored Links
Yes you will be dropping/ rasing the curtain height by 1cm.. and moving the other two screws out of the hole area... or shunting the the bracket centre 1cm left or right.

Thank you for the rapid responses, everyone!

@freddiemercurystwin Embarrassingly I don't know what it is above. The hole is probably about 2cm deep. Feels like it's just plaster in there. How would I know if it's a concrete lintel?

Some more photos below that might help...

@martygturner Not sure I can really shunt the positioning along as I think it will look weird being off centre? Plus there isn't really space to drop it down as that would mean the top screw would go into the middle of the original hole. Plus I need enough clearance to be able to open the tilt/door window.

1.jpg
3.jpg

Are you drilling into concrete, brick, steel or air?

It is no use trying to hang heavy curtains on plasterboard.

@JohnD please see photos just posted. I'm guessing it is plasterboard and that's why the previous brackets came loose...

At a bit of a loss as to what to do if I can't hang curtains on plasterboard.

The screws the bracket came with are about 3.5cm deep.

There will be something behind the plasterboard.

If you don't know what it is, drill it and see what is on your drill tip.

Good idea. I might do it on the Left or Right holes just so I don't make the central one any bigger...

Thanks for this! Few questions:

1. Given the shape of the new fixing, will I be able to fit 3 Plasplugs / GripIt Plasterboard fixings in there?
2. What should I use to fill the central hole?

If you can drill and plug into the wall itself, a single screw would be enough.

The screw and plug need to penetrate at least 25mm into the wall, preferably 35mm. Disregard whatever is in the air or passing though the hole in the plasterboard or filler.

OK I think I understand this... To clarify:

1. You're saying I need fill the existing hole then drill a hole much deeper and buy some longer screws that go through the plasterboard layer into the wall and penetrate at least 25mm?

2. Am I ok to use the tube of Polycell Multi-purpose Polyfilla I have?

3. Also, will Plasplugs / GripIt Plasterboard plugs support screws that need to go much deeper into the wall itself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back