Rechargeable AA cells, and built in battery monitors!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have many items using AA cells, which have built in battery monitors, so my Ni-Mh and NiCad cells can't be used, TRV's, Thermostat, Cat Flap, the list goes on, and still use them in my mouse, but so many items will not work with them today, I have not had a rechargeable battery leak, so I prefer to use them with expensive equipment, I know with flash guns some are damaged using rechargeable due to current they can deliver, but it is the time of year to replace the AA cells again, so 9 TRV's need 18 cells, want good quality so they do not leak, so gets expensive.

Is it a ploy to make us buy disposable cells?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it would be worth you looking at lithium-ion rechargeable AA's.
They seem to be becoming very common these days.

You can't charge them using your traditional NiCd or NiMH chargers so you'll have to invest slightly and they seem expensive for what they are, but I guess you are limited in your choices given your particular scenario.

I bought these EBL ones a couple of years ago and have generally been quite impressed by them:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EBL-Battery-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B08914YZXY

Though I've never done a direct comparison with my NiMH batteries to see how long they last.

I have not had a rechargeable battery leak, so I prefer to use them with expensive equipment, I know with flash guns some are damaged using rechargeable due to current they can deliver, but it is the time of year to replace the AA cells again, so 9 TRV's need 18 cells, want good quality so they do not leak, so gets expensive.

For years, I have used the JCB 'Super-alkaline' AA and AAA cells, in all things low current (remote controls), and high current, where they can sit unused for months and years, bought from Home Bargains, in multiple packs. They have always been reliable, and with the expected life, and not a single leak. Some are many years old, still in use - I replaced those in my remote weather station, this year, after 5 years in use, transmitting every 20 seconds.

They are not the cheapest. The cheapest I have found, has been the Kodak carbon cell ones, but I found many of those flat from the pack, never lasted long, and frequently leaked.

I am sure the units would work without a problem with Ni-Mh, and that the 2.4 or 4.8 volt is ample, but the report on some
1728487718194.png
actually shows voltage, so I have a good idea, but others
1728487883106.png
one is left wondering if OK or not, 1728488019938.png 1728488192929.png so I have to use non rechargeable to be sure the battery warning light is actually giving a true report, cat flap is worse, I am sure I am changing the batteries when not really required, but don't want the cats locked out. So 9 x electronic TRV heads, and a wireless room thermostat, although since there is a second one, heating will still work if battery flat, and the cat flap means 24 AA batteries.

I use the rechargeable in Christmas lights etc, and my computer mouse, even the weather station, but for the central heating each year end up changing 20 x AA cells, likely they will last 2 years, but never take the chance.

Sponsored Links
I have a nice Pure Dab & Internet radio. An Elan connect +

It takes 4xAA batteries and I use rechargeable ones (from IKEA, so just say its my fault).
The radio has a bar display that shows battery charge and it is always on max. Then, while playing something, the radio switches off.
Battery flat needs recharge.

I must try running it on non-rechargeable cells and see if I get an honest battery condition indication.

... I have not had a rechargeable battery leak, so I prefer to use them with expensive equipment,...
You haven't lived ;) ;
1728500053926.png
The set of 4 Vartas on the left were in our doorbell until a few days ago when it started making horrible struggling sounds. While looking for replacements I had 2 Hitachis in the box and wondered where the other 6 were, found them lurking in a pair cheap 446 radios which have probably not been used for 10+ years and now rotted/festering in the bin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back