Recommendations for premium look roofing for shed/workshop build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm finally (almost) ready for adding a roof to my green oak 5x4 m shed/workshop build. Its a gable roof over raised tie trusses but has a lowish pitch of 19 degrees.

I was thinking about slate at one point but Im just under the recommended limit but expect i could 'get away with it'. But worried about how long it will take as i really want to be done by end of this summer.

So Im looking for advice on roofing material/tiles that you know give a premium look and feel. I like the metal seemed style roofing but am open to suggestions and idealling suppliers?

Sponsored Links
I suggest something that is in keeping with the age and style of your adjacent house.

A slate roof on a small shed. Really?
Most folk tend to go for roofing felt - 10-or-20mm usually does the trick.
Any reason why that won't work for you?

You can get fake seams stuck on an edpm or single ply roof, for the uninitiated it looks like a zinc standing seam roof. Or of course there is zinc and although it will outlive you it comes at a price, a cheaper metal alternative to zinc is GreenCoat PLX.

Sponsored Links
A slate roof on a small shed. Really?
Most folk tend to go for roofing felt - 10-or-20mm usually does the trick.
Any reason why that won't work for you?
I mean it's a solid oak timber framed build - it deserves a bit of money spending if not excessive. Similar build in Scotland went mad and did same but looks awesome
I've got a couple of smaller shed which use 'normal' roofing felt but I feel lucky if I don't have to replace it every 7 years. I want the thing to last I don't know - 50 years? I've not used 'premium' felt so not sure...but like the ease of fitting felt ofc.

You can get fake seams stuck on an edpm or single ply roof, for the uninitiated it looks like a zinc standing seam roof. Or of course there is zinc and although it will outlive you it comes at a price, a cheaper metal alternative to zinc is GreenCoat PLX.
is that green-coat a DIY option?

I suggest something that is in keeping with the age and style of your adjacent house.
1930 council house with concrete maybe asbestos tiles - I don't think its an option but its pretty hidden from neighbours by fences and laylandii at the back anyway..

ThatchedCarShed.jpg

or reroof the house to match.

I mean it's a solid oak timber framed build - it deserves a bit of money spending if not excessive. Similar build in Scotland went mad and did same but looks awesome
I've got a couple of smaller shed which use 'normal' roofing felt but I feel lucky if I don't have to replace it every 7 years. I want the thing to last I don't know - 50 years? I've not used 'premium' felt so not sure...but like the ease of fitting felt ofc.
s'all good man - nice job.(y)

Maybe shingles would be better than felt in that case but all's well that ends without a leaky roof and looks good.

I'd go with slate. Mine is 20 degrees. Our house (1902) has an original single storey extension with a slate roof at 17 degrees - no problem. If you membrane the roof and then slate, even if you do get a bit of blow-by it would still only run down the membrane.

I highly recommend using slate hooks for a DIY slater - one fixing for each slate, and the hooks hold the toe of the slate down - much easier than trying to nail every slate and avoid kickers. I found using +4mm over slate width for the setting out widthways and 98mm headlap for a 100mm hook worked well.

Mine is 6.5 x 3.6 and I slated it in 2 weekends with a helper to pass the slates up. The slates pic is actually my garage at 36 degrees - same slate

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 28
  • gardenr1.jpg
    gardenr1.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
It's not something I've done, but maybe sarking boards, counterbattened and felted with the slates on top, would look good and withstand the weather.

Sarking is not common in England and I don't know what minimum slope would be. Some of our Scots roofers may help.

I used to have premises where the pitched roof of the workshop had insulating slabs as sarking.

I'd go with slate. Mine is 20 degrees. Our house (1902) has an original single storey extension with a slate roof at 17 degrees - no problem. If you membrane the roof and then slate, even if you do get a bit of blow-by it would still only run down the membrane.

I highly recommend using slate hooks for a DIY slater - one fixing for each slate, and the hooks hold the toe of the slate down - much easier than trying to nail every slate and avoid kickers. I found using +4mm over slate width for the setting out widthways and 98mm headlap for a 100mm hook worked well.

Mine is 6.5 x 3.6 and I slated it in 2 weekends with a helper to pass the slates up. The slates pic is actually my garage at 36 degrees - same slate
Is that s similar to mine size wise ..sounds OK.. where did you get your slates?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back