Replace mechanical immersion timer with smart switch?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I'd like to replace this flash immermat programmer with something smart that can be controlled/programmed remotely. It only controls the immersion heater, and should be rated at 20A (Ireland).

Can anyone recommend something reliable/safe?

Attachments

• IMG_20221127_124257.jpg
    IMG_20221127_124257.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yeah that looks interesting. Not that many reviews though which makes me apprehensive.

Could you elaborate on why? As a non electrician, i'd expect a fused switch to be a safer option than a non fused?
For a start it is not needed on an immersion heater circuit, and

fundamentally because (a lot of) the 13A fuses and fuse holders in FCUs and plugs do not like being fully loaded (12.5A) for hours on end - they heat and become loose.

Having said that I have known one which has lasted 'forever' as they should but you cannot tell which will and which will not.

I would start by asking why you want a smart switch? I have looked at some of our tariffs and can see with some it would be a good idea to have a smart system that turned on items like the immersion heater when the electric is cheap, however not found anything which integrates with our smart meter system which does seem rather to show they are not very smart?

So I use a fixed time tariff so I can set a simple timer to turn on when my battery charges, and appliances like washing machine turns on.

I have no idea what the Irish smart meters and tariffs are, I know the French are very different to us in the UK, so it depends why you want a smart switch?

What I have found is items for sale in the UK are limited by our system, the BS 1362 fuse and BS 1363 socket system is a British invention and is not used in many European countries, it would make sense in rest of Europe to have 16 amp fuses, and back in the 80's I know the bottle fuse was popular working at that time for a Dutch company and a lot of what I was using I have never seen in the UK, the maintenance free push in connector only seemed to come into the UK when we joined the common market.

So you may be better asking on an Irish forum.

@DoNotUseFullName There is a forum for this very event

Or you could ask @Risteard. But I think you will find that he is akin to Big Brother.
By even thinking oif such a thing, you may find yourself exterminated for ThoughtCrime!

Yeah that looks interesting. Not that many reviews though which makes me apprehensive.

A workaround, would be to use a normal, cheap smart plug or switch, powering a small contactor, or relay, rated at 20amps. They tend to rate immersion heater switches etc., at 20 amps, because they tend to be on for extended amounts of times, and fairly regular.

I would start by asking why you want a smart switch? I have looked at some of our tariffs and can see with some it would be a good idea to have a smart system that turned on items like the immersion heater when the electric is cheap, however not found anything which integrates with our smart meter system which does seem rather to show they are not very smart?

So I use a fixed time tariff so I can set a simple timer to turn on when my battery charges, and appliances like washing machine turns on.

I have no idea what the Irish smart meters and tariffs are, I know the French are very different to us in the UK, so it depends why you want a smart switch?

What I have found is items for sale in the UK are limited by our system, the BS 1362 fuse and BS 1363 socket system is a British invention and is not used in many European countries, it would make sense in rest of Europe to have 16 amp fuses, and back in the 80's I know the bottle fuse was popular working at that time for a Dutch company and a lot of what I was using I have never seen in the UK, the maintenance free push in connector only seemed to come into the UK when we joined the common market.

I did ask in the non-UK forum but it doesn't appear to get a lot of traffic!

As for why I want a smart switch? Why does anyone? In the winter the heating looks after the water, but in summer when the heat is off the water is usually only heated as needed, for showers etc. I don't use the clock timer function on it because my bedroom is on the other side of that wall and I hear the damn thing ticking away. So we manually switch it on/off, and I've forgotten to turn it off too many times. If it even just had a boost button I would be happy. But in this day and age, if I'm going to go to the effort of swapping it out, I may as well get as many bells and whistles as I can, so remote control, ticking-less timers etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back