Replacing immersion switch with extra wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my single immersion heater switch with a timer one.
However, in my current one, I see extra wires that wouldn't have any place in the new one as shown in the pics.

20240915_085758.jpg
20240915_085827.jpg
20240915_101119.jpg
20240915_101129.jpg

The new one only has 1 earth, in and out for the brown one and the blue. The read seems to be connecting 2 points on the actual switch.

What I would do is connect both earth wires on the one earth screw on the new one, connect the blue and brown, and leave the red out. I'm not sure though. Any thoughts?

Also, how do I distinguish the load from the supply? I was going to just remap it 1-to-1 i.e. unscrew L1 from the old one and screw it L1 on the new one. However, there is only IN and OUT on the new one.

I would think that L1 is IN and L2 is out?

Is there any way of identifying which is which? All of them are clustered together in the wall so I can't tell which is which.

Sponsored Links
The only way to distinguish which is the feed is to test it with a volt stick or similar. If the switch is pressed off the one that stays live is the power supply, I can't see what purpose the Red strap is providing, maybe someone else can.

Sponsored Links
Other side of the original switch, please. I'm thinking a bath/off/sink immersion switch - two immersions...

Other side of the original switch, please. I'm thinking a bath/off/sink immersion switch - two immersions...
I only have 1 immersion heater, at least this is what is was when I bought the property... It doesn't look like there was a second one or any other device. The extractor fan has its own switch.

The only reason I can think of is if you wanted a fused switch without a fuse -

after all they also make fused switches without switches. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back