Replacing immersion switch with extra wires

Sponsored Links
Now just need someone to tell the op which wires go where ...
Already done.

1726416081074.png

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Yes, of course.

The Neutral in the same cable as L IN is N IN and in the same cable as L OUT is N OUT.

Yes, of course.

Apart from the red bit, there are only the normal, expected wires.
Does it matter which N goes where? ChatGPT says:

No, it doesn't matter which blue (neutral) wire you connect to N IN and N OUT as long as:

• One blue wire is connected to the neutral supply (mains) at N IN.
  • The other blue wire is connected to the neutral going to the load (appliance or light) at N OUT.
Since neutral wires are not polarized (unlike live wires), the important thing is to ensure continuity of the neutral connection between the mains supply and the load. Both blue wires are part of the same circuit path, so it doesn't matter which goes to N IN and which goes to N OUT.

It's done quite a good job identifying which is which btw! But I wouldn't couldn't on it ::D

Does it matter which N goes where? ChatGPT says:
Yes it matters. It has a double-pole switch.

When off the Ns are not connected so any clock, neons etc. would not work when any back-up method runs out.

Were there no instructions with the new switch.

I realise that the old switch was confusing but once disconnected there is nothing out of the ordinary with the wring.

That and others like it just recycle whatever information was fed into it, right or wrong.

Nothing from those can be used without proper scrutiny of the results, which means it's quicker to just find the answers from a reputable source yourself.
Of course, it was just me trying to see whether ChatGPT would work feeding it some pictures. Turns out it has an answer. A wrong one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back