Replacing internet/phone line into house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My phone line comes into my house in the lounge window cill. This isn't ideal and is ugly. When I moved in and had the wifi installed the fitter told me I could move it by installing a new cable from the point it connects to the outside of my house and run a new cable to wherever I needed. I was going to run the cable further along the house, in through the floor of the first floor and drop down to the other side of the room.
The problem is I can't remember what the cable was he said I needed?
Will I need to install a master socket still and what the cleanest way of doing this? I see you can buy an internet and aerial socket which would be good if it works.
From what I understand I also can't use a conventional phone, Its now a wifi phone apparently if this makes any difference but I don't intend on having a landline anyway.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Doing a bit more digging it seems that only 2 cables are actually connected, presumably this is all I need for the internet and the others were for a landline?

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 51
Two wires is all that's required for phone AND internet

and strictly speaking you are not supposed to alter the wiring connected to the exchange side of the master socket.........

Strictly speaking you're right but I'm sure it won't be an issue in reality.

Ive found the cable thanks to bumping into my neighbour that has a background in this stuff.
I am now after a way of improving the bulkiness of the master socket or swapping it for something else. I don't want it protruding as much as it does so after something I can fit in the wall and sit flush like a plug socket.

Sponsored Links
So if I read your comments correctly you have an Internet or Broadband connection. Possibly no landline 'phone.

Your connection to the 'outside' world is via the copper cable connection. It would seem from your description that with the new connection the landline 'phone is reliant on the Internet/broadband routers which for the 'phone service operate in the DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) frequency range 1.8-1.9GHzHz band, WiFi operates in 2.3GHz or 5GHz bands. At some time in the future (next 5 years or less) the copper connection will be replaced with a fibre one. For that it really worthwhile thinking about where the ONT (connection box) will go as well as the router.

I'd also strongly recommend that think about adding CAT5 or CAT6 cables from the router position to your television & computer (if you have a tower or desktop device) location as that cable is less likely to suffer interference.

Oh yes - the cable it should be BT 2302 cable but CAT5 cable is perfectly acceptable - use the Blue-White/White-Blue pair as that is convention.
Try this for joining the cables. I have a thought BT used to have a small (inchx3/4x1/2) screw block terminal for such purposes but cannot find details.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
So if I read your comments correctly you have an Internet or Broadband connection. Possibly no landline 'phone.

Your connection to the 'outside' world is via the copper cable connection. It would seem from your description that with the new connection the landline 'phone is reliant on the Internet/broadband routers which for the 'phone service operate in the DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) frequency range 1.8-1.9GHzHz band, WiFi operates in 2.3GHz or 5GHz bands. At some time in the future (next 5 years or less) the copper connection will be replaced with a fibre one. For that it really worthwhile thinking about where the ONT (connection box) will go as well as the router.

I'd also strongly recommend that think about adding CAT5 or CAT6 cables from the router position to your television & computer (if you have a tower or desktop device) location as that cable is less likely to suffer interference.

Oh yes - the cable it should be BT 2302 cable but CAT5 cable is perfectly acceptable - use the Blue-White/White-Blue pair as that is convention.
Try this for joining the cables. I have a thought BT used to have a small (inchx3/4x1/2) screw block terminal for such purposes but cannot find details.
Thank you for your reply.

That's right, an internet or broadband connection. The phone line is described as "Digital Voice (VoIP)" from Vodafone who is my provider. I'm not sure if this is the same as DECT.

I like the sound of future proofing for fibre as in 5 years or so I don't really want to be pulling up carpets to lay a new cable. I could run a fibre cable along side the copper one to be connected in years to come but where would be the best place to terminate the outside? would it come overhead to the house in the same place?

As for running the CAT 5 or 6 cable, is this just for better internet to those devices so it's wired instead of wireless? Apart from streaming stuff on tv I do very little on the internet to really notice the difference I think. I don't work from home or anything and don't do any gaming or anything so wireless would probably be sufficient unless I'm missing the point.

The cable I found was this one ... https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAEXGPO5slash1.html ... would that be the right cable? Connected with a couple of jelly crimp connectors each end?

Any ideas on replacing the master socket with something flush mounted?

this link didn't get inserted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22434595...MIv560jvuUhwMVrplQBh3sIwEGEAQYGCABEgK_zvD_BwE

you quoted "The cable I found was this one ... https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAEXGPO5slash1.html ... would that be the right cable? Connected with a couple of jelly crimp connectors each end?" err, no that is for external use (down Holes) No it's this stuff (and they've changed the name since I worked there!).

but as I said CAT5 or CATe cable will work just as well. e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22622474...sDHEvuS2XTAE5yklkRg4HO4Q==|tkp:BlBMUNjSk-GRZA

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Use BT spec CW1308 https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CACW1308slash4slash1.html

Using Cat 5 or Cat 6 for the feed to the master socket can degrade the ADSL ( broad band ) signal. This degredation is due to the impedance of Cat X cable being different to the impedance of the CW 1308 It doesn't always affect the signal but in some circumstances the reduce in down load speed is noticable.

Thank you for your reply.

That's right, an internet or broadband connection. The phone line is described as "Digital Voice (VoIP)" from Vodafone who is my provider. I'm not sure if this is the same as DECT.

I like the sound of future proofing for fibre as in 5 years or so I don't really want to be pulling up carpets to lay a new cable. I could run a fibre cable along side the copper one to be connected in years to come but where would be the best place to terminate the outside? would it come overhead to the house in the same place?

As for running the CAT 5 or 6 cable, is this just for better internet to those devices so it's wired instead of wireless? Apart from streaming stuff on tv I do very little on the internet to really notice the difference I think. I don't work from home or anything and don't do any gaming or anything so wireless would probably be sufficient unless I'm missing the point.

The cable I found was this one ... https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAEXGPO5slash1.html ... would that be the right cable? Connected with a couple of jelly crimp connectors each end?

Any ideas on replacing the master socket with something flush mounted?

DECT is the protocol used by cordless house phones. It has nothing to do with your internet connectivity. The gel filled connectors are for exterior connections, they are not required indoors. And to use the crimps, you need the special alligator crimping tool.

VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) just means that phone calls are internet based rather than going through the old skool network, downside, if you have a power cut, your landline will not work.

Apropos cat5 or 6, you don't seem to be a gamer. I don't see why you would go to the trouble of running it around the property.

The phone line is described as "Digital Voice (VoIP)" from Vodafone who is my provider. I'm not sure if this is the same as DECT.

The two are entirely separate, no connection between them. DECT is the wireless system used by your phones, to communicate in your home. VoIP is voice over IP - basically the calls are routed over the Internet connection, bypassing your local telephone exchange and most of the telephone system - instead, your call is handled by a distant VoIP server.

That junction box looks to be what I have in my window sill. The external cable comes into this and then a white cable from that to the master socket.

I may not have been all that clear but I want to renew the cable from where it joins the outside of my house down to the master socket, run a new cable around the house and in. would be half outside and half inside.

That junction box looks to be what I have in my window sill. The external cable comes into this and then a white cable from that to the master socket.

I may not have been all that clear but I want to renew the cable from where it joins the outside of my house down to the master socket, run a new cable around the house and in. would be half outside and half inside.

That is just a joint, possibly the Master socket, was located where the joint is now, but someone decided they wanted the Master where you have it now. Alternatively, the original installer simply terminated the original wire at that joint, and ran from there with indoor type cable.

Either way, it makes little difference - mount your Master where ever you want it, then run a pair of wires from it, from the A and B terminals, back to that joint.

That is just a joint, possibly the Master socket, was located where the joint is now, but someone decided they wanted the Master where you have it now. Alternatively, the original installer simply terminated the original wire at that joint, and ran from there with indoor type cable.

Either way, it makes little difference - mount your Master where ever you want it, then run a pair of wires from it, from the A and B terminals, back to that joint.
That person would be me! ‍♂️ when I had the internet put in I didn’t know where I was going to have the socket so the guy just left a load of slack and had it loose for me to do as I pleased with it. You’re right though the master did used to be there. I now want to run all new cable from outside to the other side of the room and do away with that junction.

That person would be me! ‍♂️ when I had the internet put in I didn’t know where I was going to have the socket so the guy just left a load of slack and had it loose for me to do as I pleased with it. You’re right though the master did used to be there. I now want to run all new cable from outside to the other side of the room and do away with that junction.

Right, with you now....

Well, you will have to have that joint/junction somewhere, and really the best place is indoors.....

Does the cable enter below ground, or via a drop wire, from a pole. If it comes from the pole, a good place is to take it straight into the loft, then find an indoor route is possible, to where you want the Master. If it comes in via the ground, maybe take it into a cellar if you have one, or under the floor if you have a suspended floor. Failing both, you could drill a hole through the wall, at skirting level, fix the joint there, then run from there, under the edge of the carpet.

The cable you need, is just ordinary 2 or 4 pair phone cable, which is cheap as chips. Linking the two joints, to the Master, you only need to use one of the pairs - the rest are spare.

Right, with you now....

Well, you will have to have that joint/junction somewhere, and really the best place is indoors.....

Does the cable enter below ground, or via a drop wire, from a pole. If it comes from the pole, a good place is to take it straight into the loft, then find an indoor route is possible, to where you want the Master. If it comes in via the ground, maybe take it into a cellar if you have one, or under the floor if you have a suspended floor. Failing both, you could drill a hole through the wall, at skirting level, fix the joint there, then run from there, under the edge of the carpet.

The cable you need, is just ordinary 2 or 4 pair phone cable, which is cheap as chips. Linking the two joints, to the Master, you only need to use one of the pairs - the rest are spare.

Thank you for this!
The cable comes from a drop wire and then around the house into the lounge window.
So I have to have that terminal box? I can't run the wire from outside all the way in to the master socket?
I might rethink this idea or go for somewhere else so that in the future when fibre comes I can easily change it out without pulling floors up. My main issue though is the size of the master socket, because its so big and bulky its hard to put it somewhere that isn't going to get in the way of furniture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back