Reterminating swa in cu.

Fair enough - as you say, one can't confidently comment or advise without knowing the full facts - which is always an issue with a medium like this.

However, in reality, I think it's pretty unlikely that someone would use 3-coreSWA without one of the cores being used as a CPC, isn't it? In fact, that would not really be different from the very unlikley event that someone 'ignored' the CPC in any cable in an electrical installation.
Not unlikely at all. The normal way would be three-phase without a distributed neutral conductor.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing in the regs which says which end the SWA needs to be glanded properly. I always do it at the supply end but in this case the load would be OK
I did hear of a strong disagreement between an NICEIC approved contractor and his assessor because of a termination of one end - the far end not the near end - I was told it was considered "backfeed" therefore not allowed for some reason, of course I got this "third hand" so something might have been omitted in the translation.

Urban myths :-
"An RCD need only operate 5 times to be classed as reliable" (a total misunderstanding of the 5 x test for personal protection I assume) is but one example

Not unlikely at all. The normal way would be three-phase without a distributed neutral conductor.
You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Do you really believe that, in domestic environment, someone would supply 3-phase (without a neutral to "... a small outside shed where he charges his e-bike and leaves a battery tender type charger on his motorbike if that makes any difference."?? ... and, in any event, if that were done, how exactly do you think he could be powering these battery chargers without a neutral??

Your suggestion is a lot more 'unlikely' than the 'unlikely' comment of mine which you are quibbling about.

Sponsored Links
You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Do you really believe that, in domestic environment, someone would supply 3-phase (without a neutral to "... a small outside shed where he charges his e-bike and leaves a battery tender type charger on his motorbike if that makes any difference."?? ... and, in any event, if that were done, how exactly do you think he could be powering these battery chargers without a neutral??

Your suggestion is a lot more 'unlikely' than the 'unlikely' comment of mine which you are quibbling about.
No-one stated that this was solely in terms of a domestic environment.

No-one stated that this was solely in terms of a domestic environment.
You continue to argue for the sake of arguing.

It is true that no-one has stated explicitly that that it is a domestic installation. However, we're told that the OP''s mate has a small shed where he wishes to charge his e-bike and the battery of a (non-EV) motorbike, so I think we can be fairly sure that we're talking about a domestic propert (and almost certainly a single-phase supply to the shed)..

If the 'this' you refer to was my comment which started your quibbling, then I would have hoped that anyone with any intelligence would understand that my comment was obviously in the context of this thread - and I stick with my view that no sane person would provide a 3-phase supply with no neutral to a garden shed, not the least because it would not be able to supply the loads that the "OP's mate" has!

I can but presume that you've been having a very boring weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back