Reuse old cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

Can I use my old cooker cable (6mm2) for couple of double sockets (4 in total)? I am not using electric cooker anymore.

Diagram shows 5 sockets but I want to add 4. I just went too far with my MS Paint skills.

diagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
A lollipop circuit means running a 2.5mm2 from the junction box to first socket. Then from the first socket to the second socket. Then from the second socket to the third socket,,, and so on, and so on, then from the last socket back to the junction box again.

OR
Use 4mm2 from the junction box and then go from socket to socket to socket, without having a final cable back to the jb. A radial in other words.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Thanks for your answers. The circuit is RCD protected. Both cables (Shower and Cooker) are placed next to each other and not being used. Their continous length is <10m.

I have investigated lollipop circuits and found mixed opinions. Some people say it is better to create radial circuits and use 6mm2 all along instead of 2.5mm2. What is youre opinion?

I would like to reuse both of them. One for outdoor sockets and the other one for 4 additional indoor sockets. What is the best approach in your opinion?

PXL_20240716_073112560.jpg

Ok, thanks for your answer. Is it possible to make it work? I don't want to cause fire in my house and that is why I am asking. I am not planning to use any "energy-heavy" equipment.

4mm would be adequate as opposed to 6mm2. Easier to work with.

The lollipop circuit means you can use smaller cable - might confuse someone in the future who doesn't know their stuff, but so what?

As regards to the RCD not being compliant for new sockets... pity.

Op's not gonna wanna bother with that.

Mind you, it looks close to 40 years old, and probably never been tested.

Hi guys. Thank you for your answers. I am aware that the consumer unit is old but I never had any problems. I will consider upgrading it in the future as it looks dated and probably not safe according to current standards. Would you please advise if lollipop circuit and 4mm2 cable is safe enough for me to use? No fire hazard?

Wago -> socket -> socket -> socket - socket - Wago

Is is possible to fit correct RCD at the end of 6mm2 cable? You say that it is not complient but there was a socket there before I removed my old electric cooker. The socket was part of my old cooker switch.

I would say a correct RCD at the end of the 6mm would satisfy things.

You can use 2.5 mm if lollipop loop.
Or 4mm2 or 6mm2 if radial (not a loop).

I would say a correct RCD at the end of the 6mm would satisfy things.

You can use 2.5 mm if lollipop loop.
Or 4mm2 or 6mm2 if radial (not a loop).

A single upfront RCD isn't compliant either and you wont get one to fit that board either

Hi guys. Thanks for your answers. At the end of the day anything I do will not comply with current electrical standards. I want it to be safe and that is the reason why I am asking for your advice. If hell awaits me, let it be.

What aboud using RCD sockets instead of normal ones?

OR maybe:

What would be the best option for me in your opinion?

Sincerely
P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back