Rising damp?

Well put. The front door threshold has now been lowered below the path level?
And the only two air bricks - one in the front bay, & one in the rear elevation, are way too high for venting the sub-area.
I have raised the ground outside such that it becomes a slope and the front door threshold is now level with FFL inside and outside. In the process, the air brick got partially blocked.
Front door level threshold.jpg

I am wondering if it will help if I dig a trench around the bay window such that the air brick can be unblocked. One of my neighbours did this. Another neighbour even exposed the bottom part back to bricks. They are the only ones who have done work to the bay window floor area on the street. Presumably if it is rising damp, it should affect my neighbours too?
20240823_183855.jpg20240823_183906.jpg

Sponsored Links
May I ask about the joists?
Some seem to think that your original joists were rotten, hence more evidence for 'rising damp' - whereas I see joists in decent condition, that you have doubled up for rigidity and insulated. The ground beneath also looks pretty dry, in your original photos.
Was this the case?

May I ask about the joists?
Some seem to think that your original joists were rotten, hence more evidence for 'rising damp' - whereas I see joists in decent condition, that you have doubled up for rigidity and insulated. The ground beneath also looks pretty dry, in your original photos.
Was this the case?

The darker joists were the original ones, and then I have some new ones added for levelling and insulation. The ground below was generally quite dry. I didn't find signs of damp before the renovation project. The damp is found after the renovation is complete, and only on one external side where I have raised the floor level outside.

20231221_081909 (1).jpg20231221_082022.jpg20231221_082114.jpg

Your ground level is very close to the bottom of the airbrick, which in a property with a DPC would be a problem.

Are you saying the current damp wasn't a problem before you raised the ground level?

Sponsored Links
Before @ree goes apoplectic (again) - I have to say that I agree with him and others that raising the ground level and blocking the air bricks was a bad idea; the underfloor void requires through ventilation to prolong the life of the suspended floor.
However (and again I could be wrong), I don't see that your current damp patches are down to 'rising damp'; this is my rationale:

Although, you have lifted the front yard, you have done nothing fundamentally different to what you had originally. Before any work was carried out, the render was already down to ground level and the DPC was already breached...
Screenshot_20240826-054923_Chrome.jpg
But, as you saw from the work inside, the ground was dry and the joists were sound.
I have a similar situation - my rendered solid walls come straight down to a concrete back yard. Without significant ingress from water elsewhere, the ground beneath my house is dry - the concrete acts as a sort of raincoat. Not nearly best practice, but I don't have rising damp.

As I said earlier, I believe the damp around the doorway is from water ingress around the doorframe and off of the bay, through the cracked render and other defects; being trapped inside by the render coating.
IMHO, your photos in post #15 tend to confirm this - the level of the water marks are high, and the change in damp pattern is very 'reactive' to the weather conditions.
It may also be a coincidence that the only other two damp patches are either side of the gutterless bay.
If there was also significant ingress from the air brick, I would suspect that the damp patches would appear closer to the front of the bay, rather than the far sides.

Yes, you need to address the subfloor ventilation and ideally fix the breached DPC, add french drains etc.
But fixing the render cracks and ensuring water from the bay is effectively removed from the walls, may also be a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back