Roof dipping cause?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the dip on the lower part of the roof to the right of the chimney of concern? It's over a bathroom. There's no evidence of issue inside the room. Thanks!
Roof.png

Sponsored Links
I had similar - I specifically asked the surveyor (Only a homebuyers survey - I should have known better :rolleyes:) about it before moving in, he said there was nothing of concern.
Five years later there was a roof leak, and I decided to replace the lot; underneath was this mess...

20210519_123414.jpg

The wall plate was primarily being supported by the 28mm gas pipe!

Yes, there may be an issue that you need to address, but without access, you're unlikely to find out.
Some further investigation may be necessary, i.e. cutting into the ceiling to see what's there. May be using an endoscope, or camera poked through a hole.
(Even pulling the ceiling down may not be the worst thing - if it hasn't been touched before, there is unlikely to be sufficient insulation in there).
Just be prepared, there could be some nasty surprises.

There is a problem developing, probably undersized rafters, is it sloping ceiling inside?

Sponsored Links
There is a problem developing, probably undersized rafters, is it sloping ceiling inside?
The bathroom ceiling (inside) slopes down from where it joins the rest of the house (if that's what you meant, i.e. constructed as a slope, not unintentionally sloping inside).

I wonder why the section to the left of the chimney isn't doing the same, since there doesn't appear to have been any renewal of that section of the roof.

OP,
The ridge line appears level so does the outrigger fascia.
Directly behind the chimney stack the party wall runs up to the ridge. A slight hump can be seen.
Under sized rafters have been mentioned as a possibility - I agree.
From the wall plate at the fascia to a wall plate at the main elevation maybe 4" x 2"'s were used but the problem is how come its not showing on the bath room ceiling - & why does the neighbour's look in better shape?
The most pronounced disruption is above the main elevation wall plate - is the wall plate still intact & in place?
Could you go into the main loft and take pics of whatever looks sketchy to you?
Is the outrigger chimney breast still intact below the stack?
What does the front roof plane look like?

Thanks - not sure of all the answers I'm afraid. It's a house I'm looking at buying but not at survey stage yet. Just trying to gauge how pricey an issue it might be (I will get a roofer round should things progress).

Unsure on the age of the roof, the houses were built around 1900 but no idea what, if anything, has been done since (nothing by current owners).
Inside main loft didn't show anything untoward (I didn't take a picture unfortunately, but there was nothing stored up there so I could see the structure clearly).

Attached the only photo I have of the front. I'll have to google 'wall plate' and 'outrigger chimney breast' to see if I have any pictures. Can't get back to the property at the moment.
Screenshot 2024-09-10 111635.png

Bearing in mind this was pandemic pricing (good builders/roofers were difficult to get hold of), for a slightly larger roof...

Price includes:
Scaffolding
Remove existing roof structure, and disposal of asbestos cement slates
New wall plate, joists, rafters and gable ladder
Fire stopping to next doors loft space
OSB t&g sheet for roof
Fatra EPDM roof covering due to low pitch
uPVC fascia, soffits, guttering and downpipes
100mm celotex insulation
Foil backed plasterboard (at BCs insistence - vapour barrier over bathroom)
Sheeting over when off-site

Total @£7.5k

I plastered and moved the electrics - I also took their ceiling down and re-did the insulation properly, but that's another story!

My neighbour had his done while I was extending so much cheaper as scaffolding already there , he had his done with my new roof and paid around £3.5k ( he had previous quotes around £6k ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back