Roof Not Straight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

Hoping for a bit of help on behalf of my elderly mum and dad.

They recently had a new roof fitted and are a little unhappy with the outcome. I attach photos of both before and after the new roof was fitted for clarity. I live away from them so have not seen it myself, but they tell me ‘its not straight all along, almost sitting in the gutter’. I think where they are referring to is the second and last roof tile which seem not to lay as flat as the others and have become a bit of a dog's hind leg.

I was just wondering what you professionals think of the new roof? It is watertight as far as my parents are aware, just perhaps not as neat as they would like, and as it was expensive, they feel it should obviously be put right.

There have been several issues with the fitting of the roof where the roofers had to come back to rectify, an example being next door were left seeing daylight through their roof. When my parents mentioned this latest issue ie the wonky tiling, the owner of the roofing company said he would send his guys back out, but they never came back, and now he no longer answers his phone to my parents.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions!

Attachments

• PHOTO-2024-10-14-18-55-42.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-10-14-18-55-42.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 94
  • PHOTO-2024-10-14-18-55-43.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-10-14-18-55-43.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 91
  • before (1).jpg
    before (1).jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone

Hoping for a bit of help on behalf of my elderly mum and dad.

They recently had a new roof fitted and are a little unhappy with the outcome. I attach photos of both before and after the new roof was fitted for clarity. I live away from them so have not seen it myself, but they tell me ‘its not straight all along, almost sitting in the gutter’. I think where they are referring to is the second and last roof tile which seem not to lay as flat as the others and have become a bit of a dog's hind leg.

I was just wondering what you professionals think of the new roof? It is watertight as far as my parents are aware, just perhaps not as neat as they would like, and as it was expensive, they feel it should obviously be put right.

There have been several issues with the fitting of the roof where the roofers had to come back to rectify, an example being next door were left seeing daylight through their roof. When my parents mentioned this latest issue ie the wonky tiling, the owner of the roofing company said he would send his guys back out, but they never came back, and now he no longer answers his phone to my parents.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions!
The left side of the fascia or roof has sagged or dropped considerably, out of plane. This should have been rectified structurally before the new roof tiles, batten felt etc, were fitted. Looks like it was ignored and the outcome is what you see, i.e. ridiculous amounts of (eaves) tiles dropping out of plane on the left.

It could be something sinister like a rotten wall plate or something simple like a lazy chippy with a wonky eye that fitted the fascia on the pizz. Either way, we would have investigated and rectified, rather than ignore. In fairness to your ignorant lazy roofers, the issue was present before they tiled.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for your kind replies, appreciate it.

Obviously not the news I wanted, however the next step now is to get it sorted.

Do you think I should get a roofing inspector out to do a report, or just get a few local (accredited) roofers to come and take a look for their opinion?

Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Do you think I should get a roofing inspector out to do a report, or just get a few local (accredited) roofers to come and take a look for their opinion?

Your first step, is to call the roofer back, who did the job, and express your concerns. Give him an opportunity to correct it.

Thanks Harry Bloomfield - this has been done already, see my original post. They said they would come out to rectify, never did, and now the Company aint answering their phone. I don't really want my mum and dad going to their premises as the are 85, and I live abroad.

Thanks Harry Bloomfield - this has been done already, see my original post. They said they would come out to rectify, never did, and now the Company aint answering their phone. I don't really want my mum and dad going to their premises as the are 85, and I live abroad.

Then try a complaint to Trading Standards, but they will have to be approached via the CAB first.

Do they have a company name, a landline phone, a business address?

Last edited:
I have contacted CAB. I think my parents have 2 options.

One is to write to the roofer to get him back giving him 7 days min to respond. I don't think this is the best solution given the link above and the fact they are ignoring my mum and dad anyhow.
Two, we get an independent roofing report and claim back money as appropriate for the fault

My question is, who can perform roofing inspections that would uphold in court, should it come to that. Can I get a NFRC roofer out or does it have to be RICS?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back