Roof Not Straight?

One is to write to the roofer to get him back giving him 7 days min to respond. I don't think this is the best solution given the link above and the fact they are ignoring my mum and dad anyhow.
Two, we get an independent roofing report and claim back money as appropriate for the fault

You suggested, earlier, that the roofers were the ones in the BBC article, and these were jailed. I don't think they would be released, to fix a roof?

Sponsored Links
I have contacted CAB. I think my parents have 2 options.

One is to write to the roofer to get him back giving him 7 days min to respond. I don't think this is the best solution given the link above and the fact they are ignoring my mum and dad anyhow.
Two, we get an independent roofing report and claim back money as appropriate for the fault

My question is, who can perform roofing inspections that would uphold in court, should it come to that. Can I get a NFRC roofer out or does it have to be RICS?
As I have said, the issue was present before they stripped the old roof. Their obligations are limited. You should have been made aware though, at least.

You suggested, earlier, that the roofers were the ones in the BBC article, and these were jailed. I don't think they would be released, to fix a roof?
Harry please look again at the BBC article - it was from 2012 - the guy in question got 5 years so is well out now to fix a roof! I can assure you I am not the sort of person to make it up..... please understand I would really prefer it not to be the truth!

Harry please look again at the BBC article - it was from 2012 - the guy in question got 5 years so is well out now to fix a roof! I can assure you I am not the sort of person to make it up..... please understand I would really prefer it not to be the truth!

OK, so you can go after him/them..

Sponsored Links
As I have said, the issue was present before they stripped the old roof. Their obligations are limited. You should have been made aware though, at least.
Thanks noseall - so what are their obligations as my mum and dad were not made aware?

Also haven't they done half a job? Its like getting a painter to paint a wall that's full of mould and they just paint over it. Or a house builder whose built you a house on faulty foundations? Don't they have responsibility/liability as a professional to either tell you to get someone else to correct or append it to the job as an added cost knowing their work will be compromised?

There is a 20-year guarantee in place for this job- so what happens when the tiles fall - the roofer has an obligation to put them back I assume under the guarantee, but not to fix the underlying cause, so they fall again, the roofer comes out again, fixes again for 20 years?

Last edited:
But I am asking how? We really don't want him coming back to 'rectify' unless we have no other option. I was asking if we got someone to repair the roof to claim back the cost from the original roofer then we would need an independent report....so who is best placed to give this report - an accredited roofer or RICS surveyor?

Last edited:
But I am asking how? We really don't want him coming back to 'rectify' unless we have no other option. I was asking if we got someone to repair the roof to claim back the cost from the original roofer we would need an independent report.

Were they normal traders, then it would only be correct, to give them an opportunity to rectify the defects - as they are obvious scammers, with criminal records, then you have a reasonable reason to not invite them back, were it to go to court.

Even if you take them to court, and win your case, unless they have some assets which can be seized,
you are unlikely to get anything back, if they were paid in cash. More chance if paid via card.

The best way forward, is Trading Standards, and having them prosecuting them again, as in still at it, scamming house owners.

Best if others replied to the RICS question.

And claim what? If the tiles are fixed, the battens are fixed, the membrane is watertight and adequate and the incidental things all tick, i.e. head-lap, verge overhang, eaves overhang, ridge fixed and weathered, vents in place etc. They may have been obligated to fit loft insulation and eaves venting perhaps?

I doubt you can claim against quality issues or aesthetics, as I'm guessing if the above paragraph has the boxes all ticked, then even Building Control would have signed it off.

However, they are professionally obligated to point out what I stated earlier about the sagging corner.

And claim what? If the tiles are fixed, the battens are fixed, the membrane is watertight and adequate and the incidental things all tick, i.e. head-lap, verge overhang, eaves overhang, ridge fixed and weathered, vents in place etc. They may have been obligated to fit loft insulation and eaves venting perhaps?

I doubt you can claim against quality issues or aesthetics, as I'm guessing if the above paragraph has the boxes all ticked, then even Building Control would have signed it off.

However, they are professionally obligated to point out what I stated earlier about the sagging corner.

yeah, i know very little about roofs, but i have to agree that the roof was already not straight in the old photo, but they should have told them and straightened it, which could be costly.

the new tiles are flat, whereas the older ones aren't, so the slant looks even more stark.

when I had a new roof installed many years ago, the roofer was very good and said that my roof was slanted, (which I had not even noticed until he told me!) but that they would build new the roof straight so they had identified the roof slanting and costed for straightening the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back