Roof quote reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am considering getting roof ridge tiles replaced as the bedding mortar is coming out in places. Have been advised to go for dry ridge system.

Also there is a small bay window flat roof to re felt due to deterioration. 2 sq m that's all.

The house has a lot of ridge tiles as the roof is L shaped so has 2 top ridge lines with a hip down one corner and a triangular hip above the bay window as well.

I've had two quotes so far one for £2300 and one for £2600. Getting 3rd quote later this week.

I've been told elsewhere that this is way too much and that £700 should cover a ridge tile replacement job. This was based on a link from check-a-trade.

Just wanted another opinion. If I'm getting quotes all similar then I don't think I'm being ripped off and it's more likely the other advice is just way underestimating.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am considering getting roof ridge tiles replaced as the bedding mortar is coming out in places. Have been advised to go for dry ridge system.

Also there is a small bay window flat roof to re felt due to deterioration. 2 sq m that's all.

The house has a lot of ridge tiles as the roof is L shaped so has 2 top ridge lines with a hip down one corner and a triangular hip above the bay window as well.

I've had two quotes so far one for £2300 and one for £2600. Getting 3rd quote later this week.

I've been told elsewhere that this is way too much and that £700 should cover a ridge tile replacement job. This was based on a link from check-a-trade.

Just wanted another opinion. If I'm getting quotes all similar then I don't think I'm being ripped off and it's more likely the other advice is just way underestimating.
£700 won't even cover the scaffold lol. Ask Mr Elsewhere to do it for you at that price. (y)

I was also told that I was too expensive as the 'customer' told me that the price should be £40 to jet her blocked manhole and drain line, from what she read on line.

Andy

Sponsored Links
If you obtain three quotes from three reputable companies (with no connection to each other) and don't advise any of them re quotes you've already received, and they all end up within a few hundred of each other, you can probably assume that's the ballpark for the job.

You can no doubt find someone to do the work for half the price, however you have to question what the quality of said work will be.

Honestly, every time I tried to save money, I had to pay twice.

Of course, there are some nasty chancers out there!
Been quoted £700 pounds to make-good a door (I am foreign).

But always happy to pay for good-value work. There's so much that you don't see during the execution of a job by a PROFESSIONAL.
True professionals try to solve your problem.
Like, how my decorator said "don't make-good this door, replace it for £40..."

True professionals are VERY HARD to find, though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back