Roof Space, Eaves Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all to the moderators, i know this has been asked before by me, but i made such a mess of the post it didnt make sense. I have cleaned it up and got the diagrams sorted so i beg your indulgence. :oops:

What i want to do is.. In my eaves space i would like to insulate the inside of the triangular eaves space, effectivly the wall of the bedroom. I have rockwool set aside for this task... but i need to pick the more experienced brains that permeate this forum (thank you in advance).. First of all:

a. Is it that simple? , I'm not missing something stupid like vapour layers or something? Air flow will not be effected up through the eaves and into the attic above. and as i am not insulating the outside part of the triangle as in the roof i dont think i will be encountering any cold wall problems.

b. Can i place insulation all the way down the wall including the entrance to the void between downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor? My reasoning for this is that in a normall house this area would be sealed off anyway and its only because of the Dorma roof design that you can see this void anyway!

Thank you for any and all suggestions and comments... Over to you Breezer.

Dinger
Eaves1.jpg

dinger1.jpg

dinger2.jpg

Eaves.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's fine as long you won't block any air flow from bottom wallplate to the top of the ridge. 50mm gap is enough. You may find it easier to use slab insulation between the upright studs

Those copper pipes deserve a bit more insulation though.

thanx for the info guys, the copper pipes are original insulation and its on the list for jobs to get done soon

there will be an airflow uo into the eaves but what about the space between downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor? can i block at each side to stop colder air getting to this area?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can but leave approximately 50mm gap by the wallplate side.

:oops: sorry masona

Im really showing my ignorance here m8, I don't understand, the gap or void between the ceiling of the downstairs and the floor of the upstairs is open on each side to the eaves. This is the problem, its cold in them there eaves and i want to stop this permeating into the floor and ceiling of the house. i would like to stop this by laying the insulation down the wall and covering this gap front and back.... In a normall house this gap would not be open to the elements and this is the point where my knowledge is outstripped by inate enthusiasm.. sorry m8.

Would you mind explaining it to me why i cant block it??

Thanx in advance
Dinger

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Told you i was thick. I read your post wrong, i think... you mean yea i can block this gap up but leave a 50mm gap before hitting the bottom of the roof????

Sorry mate , i'll go back to the day job and be quiet now..

Thanx for the help for the amazingly stoopid

Dinger

;)
In your 2nd picture do you have ventilation entering from the outside at the bottom left hand corner where the roof rafters resting on the wallplate? if so leave at least 50mm gap for air circulation.

Masona,

Thanx for the help mate! In answer to your question, No, but i have a good reason for this. The pic below is the outside of the area in the rest of the pics.

EavesFlashing.jpg

at the moment we have an airflow ( sometimes too much) under the lead flashing and into the eaves space. There is UPVC cladding on all exterior wood surfaces and in the near future i will be sealing the gap under the flashing and drilling 50mm dia holes for circular air vents every 6 feet or so along the upward face of the eaves to give a proper airflow into this space.

I hope thats ok m8 :rolleyes:

Thanks
Dinger

Oh how little you know me :eek: I'm just holding on with my fingertips... lol

This site is a godsend, people like yourself, breezer and the other knowledgeable people are up for sainthood as far as i'm concerned.

At least i know if i ask if a jobs gonna hurt i'll find the answer in here.

Thanx for the info and advice m8, much appreciated

Dinger

(p.s. I'll be back)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back