Running power to an outside building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating a house and the next job is to send power out to what will be a small dog grooming salon.

At the moment we live in rented property, the salon is run off a length of 2.5 twin and earth running off a socket in the kitchen, this goes to a fusebox in the salon. I know this isn't ideal but was a temporary solution because it was rented. In the 4 years it's been set up surprisingly its never tripped once, even with all the damp in the building due to dogs being washed and dried!

The new set up will be done properly as its going to be a permanent fixture in a house we own. The salon will be about 25 meters from the house, cables will be run in 4in waste pipe laid at a depth of about 1m. Due to the solid structure of the 4in pipe, do I need to use armoured cable or would 10mm 3 core be ok. At no point from the house to the salon would the cable not be in the 4in pipe. This time the cable will be connected to the house fuse box and not off the back of a socket!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am not qualified but would expect that it needs to be armoured and laid with hazard tape above the run?
Someone could dig with a digger or such and take out the plastic pipe and un armoured cable.

1M is a bit deep (0.5 minimum) as digging a narrow 1M trench is hard without making it very wide.

The armour is the earth.

I'm currently renovating a house and the next job is to send power out to what will be a small dog grooming salon.

At the moment we live in rented property, the salon is run off a length of 2.5 twin and earth running off a socket in the kitchen, this goes to a fusebox in the salon. I know this isn't ideal but was a temporary solution because it was rented. In the 4 years it's been set up surprisingly its never tripped once, even with all the damp in the building due to dogs being washed and dried!

The new set up will be done properly as its going to be a permanent fixture in a house we own. The salon will be about 25 meters from the house, cables will be run in 4in waste pipe laid at a depth of about 1m. Due to the solid structure of the 4in pipe, do I need to use armoured cable or would 10mm 3 core be ok. At no point from the house to the salon would the cable not be in the 4in pipe. This time the cable will be connected to the house fuse box and not off the back of a socket!

Any advice would be appreciated.
What information has been put on your planning application?
Your electrician will be the correct person to ask.

I am not qualified but would expect that it needs to be armoured and laid with hazard tape above the run?
Someone could dig with a digger or such and take out the plastic pipe and un armoured cable.

1M is a bit deep (0.5 minimum) as digging a narrow 1M trench is hard without making it very wide.

The armour is the earth.
The armour is very likely not going to be used at the outbuilding.

Sponsored Links

The armour is the earth.

Questionable advice …..

Do NOT install cables in waste pipes.

Use cable ducting, so it can be identified as cables if it's dug up in the future.
I assume it's planned to be in black pipe, only distinguishable from black ducting if the joins are found. The yellow warning tape is a good giveaway though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back