Sanity check on plumbing quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a sanity check on a plumbing job:

Scope of job:
1. Replace 2 radiators (basic run of the mill style and reasonably like for like)
2. Replace broken thermostat on another radiator (like for like style)
3. Replace kitchen mixer tap (reasonably like for like)

There maybe a small amount of radiator pipework where the previous radiator connections are a slightly different location to the new ones.

Doesn't feel like a huge task but I appreciate there's other effort around these tasks such as draining the heating system (which uses a gas combi boiler), filling it back up and making sure it's all working okay. I believe it's a 1 person job for about half a day (1 day max). I'm in the outskirts of London area.

I found a 1 man band gas safe plumber who could do the job. I already paid a call out charge fee for him to come out and look at the work, he took measurements and scoped out the work.

I understand different people will quote differently but what would be a reasonable upper end figure such that much more than this figure is then getting into the "taking the mick" territory?

Sponsored Links
outskirts of London could be labour rate of say £600+vat

say £1k with materials incl VAT

Im not a plumber, so wait for the real guys to comment

theres always Pimlico plumbers......

Sponsored Links
Get a couple of quotes from actual plumbers not handy men or builders.

If he's been to the job then he knows what he's up against.

There are so many variables!

Even if everything straightforward that's not a half day job esp if pipework to rads needs altering. 1 day, plus time to purchase materials...if day rate is £350 to £400 I'd say 1.5 days is more reasonable + materials. Thus I'd go with Notch7s estimate, personally (also not a plumber).

Sorry, I should have mentioned in the opening post. Just to keep things consistent. Let's say quote is without VAT and just for labour only.

and shouldnt be charging for coming out to quote wouldnt have allowed him in the door minute he said that

Labour only anything between £400 and £600 would be a fair price.
What would worry me the most is the kitchen tap.
Last time I accepted to take a like for like tap replacement job I made the gross mistake of not asking for pictures of the pipework.
I ended up repiping the whole lot and grind the tap off as well as fixing the cabinet back panel (whatever the original fitters left of it) that was resting there without being fixed.
3 hour job.
All for £60 which I honoured, my mistake.

and shouldnt be charging for coming out to quote wouldnt have allowed him in the door minute he said that
Quite normal now in London due to pi$$ taking landlords who take 3 quotes and then haggle with the cheapest handyman they can find to pay less than half of the cheapest quote.
That makes them feel better I suppose.

My quote is around £650. Labour only, not including VAT and none of the waste will be taken. Considering I already paid a call out charge to get the quote, feels like a lot.

Quite normal now in London due to pi$$ taking landlords who take 3 quotes and then haggle with the cheapest handyman they can find to pay less than half of the cheapest quote.
That makes them feel better I suppose.
can see your point but on visiting the house you would know its not a landlord

Depends mate. If it's local and through a mutual contact, I'll go at no cost but other enquiries then I'll at least try and make sure there's a chargeable job I can do whilst there, looking at the other stuff.
As @johnny2007 wrote... there's too many pisstakers about!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back