schedules of items inspected checklist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am an apprentice electrician and i was just wondering if anyone could give me a detailed description of what all the options on the "schedules of items inspected" checklist on an Periodic Inspection Report For An Electrical Installation certificate because the "qualified electrician" that i work with doesn't seem to know. I am grateful for any help, thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Very quickly... A more detailed answer can be found in GN3

direct + indirect:
SELV - separated extra low voltage
limitation of discharge of energy - related to special things like cattle fences I beleive

DIRECT
insulation of live parts - needs no explanation
Barriers and enclosures - the enclosures of wiring accesories, etc, there are IP requirements different surfaces have to meet
Obstacles - Not going to see this in a house, basically barriers and cages to stop people getting too close
Placing out of reach - not going to see this in a house either, live parts out of reach of being touched
PELV - Like SELV but refererened to earth, not going to see this in house
RCD for supplementary protection - thats RCD for sockets liable to be used outdoors

INDIRECT
Presence of earthing conductor - thats the earth from the supply to the DB
Presence of CPC - don't need to explain
Presence of main bonds - simple
Presence of sup bonds - simple
Presence of earthing arrangements for combined funtional and protective purposes - Sorry, TNC systems...not going to see this
Presence of arrangements for alt sources? RCDs and electrodes for standby generators, etc, not likely to see
RCD - simple
Class 2 equip - simple
Non-conducting location - Very special, not going to see
Earth free bonding - Very special, not going to see
Electrical Separation - Shaver sockets to BS3535 mainly

Mutual influence:
Proximity to other services - simple
segregation from other voltage bands - alarm cables away from power ones, etc, the exact reg is in chapter 5 somewhere
Segregation of safety circuits - proper firealarm systems on dedicated circuits, etc

Ident
presence of diagrams instructions, circuit charts etc - circuit schedule at DB
Presence of danger notices, etc - RCD test label, colours label, etc
Labeling of CPD, etc - CU labeled, isolators labeled
Indentification of conductors - switch wires sleeved, conductors identified in DB (normally by being in number terminals)

Cables
Routing ion zones - simple
Connection of conductors - just check its done properly
Errection methods - Equipement installed sensibly, mainly
Selection of conductors for current carrying capabily and volt drop - simple
Presence of fire barriers, seals, protection against thermal effects - holes through fire breaks suitably sealed, hot equipment not mounted on combustable surfaces, etc

general
presence and correct location of isolation and switching devices - common sense
adequacy of access to switchgear - common sense
measures for special locations - everything in chapter 6
single pole devices for protection and switching in phase conductor only - no light switches or fuses in neutral
correct connection of accesories and equipment - common sense
Presence of undervoltage protection devices - relates to motors mainly
Choice and setting of overcurrent devices, etc - Common sense
Selection of equip suitable for extern. Influences - common sense
Selection of appropiate functional switching devices - common sense

Edit: correction :oops:

Sponsored Links
class 2 equipment? is that double insulated?

thermal effects include not running phase and neutral through different holes in metal enclosures etc.. ?( according to our lecturer.. )

ColJack said:
class 2 equipment? is that double insulated?
Yes

thermal effects include not running phase and neutral through different holes in metal enclosures etc.. ?( according to our lecturer.. )
I think that comes under electromagnetic effects for which there is no checkbox (albeit one that has an eventual thermal result)

Thanks alot adam_151 much appreciated, you a qualified electrician?

trevmai said:
you training adam? how far are you?

getting towards end of 2330 part one, and have 2381... 2330 part two and 2391 next, then there is the issue of practical experience, etc

trevmai said:
have you no practical experience?

Not much of note, some wireing systems (galv conduit, MICC, etc) I've only worked with in the college workshop, only thing in addition to that is I've done some 'housebashing' at home

ColJack said:

He's wrong, of course, as Adam has pointed out.

'Thermal effects' refers to protection against adverse external thermal effects such as the proximity of hot surfaces, extra-high ambient temperatures, radiant heat, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back