Seacat (big boat, not a tiger shark!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a daytrip to France with some friends in June. To go from Dover-Calais it costs the same to go via big old ferry or via catamaran.

Now, this may be a daft question seeing as the catamarans are capable of 40 knots, but can you go "up on deck"? :confused:

Also, are they as smooth as they are said to be? There is only a 15 minute difference in the crossing time, so the allure of fresh air up on deck may be alluring if Seacats have no deck and are just as choppy. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Never been on this seacat but it looks great, my brother does maintenance on it in falmouth docks and tell,s me that its a very smooth crossing even in a rough sea. I've been on one from queenscliff to portsea in Victoria Australia and it was a really nice crossing but the sea was calm so not a good test. :)

i went by seacat to amsterdam (ok rotterdam.... or where ever the hell it docks at) last year:cool: and yes you can get out on deck.... sort of.... there are two little decks out back where you can watch the waterjets.... but they were only small (maybe 4 meters by 3 meters each?...that's the decks... not the waterjets!!!!!!).

the journey out there was quite smooth... but the way back WHOA!!!! talk about rough... it was like 'sick fest' in some parts and to make matters worse i lost two pints to the floor god in quick succession.... :(

Watched seacat docking at Weymouth a week or so back, certainly no normally accessable for'ad deck .. vertiginous sides but well windowed -or so it seemed - Like a big water charabanc !!
I guess the aft deck will be accessable for open air viewing.
And I bet they pack the cars in when there is a rush.
I gauged it as a fairweather craft ... looks futuristic. .. I'll stick wiv me Nissan and the old Scenackered oiler !! God bless the English Channel ! :D :D
;)

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Watched seacat docking at Weymouth a week or so back, certainly no normally accessable for'ad deck .. vertiginous sides but well windowed -or so it seemed - Like a big water charabanc !!
I guess the aft deck will be accessable for open air viewing.
And I bet they pack the cars in when there is a rush.
I gauged it as a fairweather craft ... looks futuristic. .. I'll stick wiv me Nissan and the old Scenackered oiler !! God bless the English Channel ! :D :D
;)
don't forget your sou'wester. :D
captainwantsyou.gif

I know Hovercraft were susceptible to rough seas and were cancelled when the weather dictated so as both types of vehicle tend to "fly" It may be that the seacat is restricted if the sea is too choppy? whereas the ferries can keep going

Traveled many times with seacat (when the real hoverspeed was cancelled). You can get on the decks (smokers-corner).
Above windforce 3 it gets a bit rocky, but when you sit in the comfy chairs you're fine and it only takes 45 minutes to cross (Dover-Calais).

Try Speedferry (much cheaper), we travel with them net time (in two weeks time).

The loading and unloading times on the seacat etc takes much less time than on a normal ferry.

I've been on them a couple of times from Hollyhead you can definately stand at the back as long as the sea or weather conditions permit. There is quite a price premium over the ferries and they are stopped from sailing more often due to sea conditions. Good experience though and definately worth trying.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Richard, apparently they build them in Tasmania so you were riding one in it's native land. Also one of the Hoverspeed seacats holds the record for fastest transatlantic crossing.

I was pretty amazed, but I have been quoted £39 for ferry and £39 for seacat, hence the choice! Not bad for 4 adults plus car.

I mentioned the choice to one of the friends coming, she baulked at the idea of Seacat... "I've been on it before, and there's no way I'm crossing the channel on that confounded oversized jetski again!" :LOL:

As a few of you have mentioned, apparently it wasn't that great on a slightly choppy sea and several people hooned. My sea-legs don't work any further out than Canary Wharf, so perhaps I will miss it this time!

Tunnel looks cheap(ish), £47. :D Bargain, if you consider that a car takes as much space in a carriage as about 20 seats on an Intercity.

WoodYouLike said:
You can get on the decks (smokers-corner).

Shmoke and a pancake? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist the Dutch reference :LOL:

We travelled by 'water-jet' power boat to the Barrier reef in Oz, however the next visit to reef was by sail assisted, catamarran ... No comparison the Cat was great, especially slurping along, leaning under the sails on that beautiful Coral sea.
If you are ever thereabouts, going for a sea trip, look for motor / sail boat, a great experience in itself .....

Hardly relevant - but I learned all that is powered is not necessarily a good experience !!
:D

Sponsored Links
Back