Securing Pagoda to new patio help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6 month old patio, 100mm type 1 MOT, 40mm full bed of mortar with slurry with a 20mm thick porcelain 900 x 600 tiles.

I want to build a 3.6m x 3.6m pagoda with a flat roof but worried about the uplift in high winds over winter. I obviously cant set the posts into the ground now so was planning on post fixing brackets using a chemical fixing through the tile and into the mortar and MOT.

Do you think this will be strong enough for a typical UK winter?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The tiles will be heavy. Use 8mm or 10mm threaded stainless rod and expanding stainless or brass plugs. Expand the fixing under the tile through a single drilled hole leaving the rod sticking up. then washer-nut-washer down the rod to create a spacer. Drill a hole up the inside centre of the post as deep as the sticking up rod and when you stand the post down over the rod, use some PU expanding adhesive or resin to secure it in to the post. The thing won't blow away with each leg fixed to a 900x600x20 slab! and the spacer will keep the foot of the post just clear of any standing water and will prevent rot.

I'd worry about using expanding bolts into 20mm tiles, they may crack especially if near to an edge. I'd use chemical fixings into a nice clean hole.

It would be lightweight but could catch a lot of wind. It will need to be well anchored down.

I'd look for some sort of stainless bracket, hopefully someone's already invented something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back