Security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I going to look at a job next week, a friend has installed 3x500 watt pir switchable security lights on a 10amp mcb, they all work, but don,t switch off when he turns the power on, i ask if he wired the up to the right connections, hes faxed me the wiring instructions and how he wired the and they look ok, he says the setting on the day and night and the timers are all set correctly,before i drive 2 hours to this job has anyone had this sort of fault before?
Thanks
Onesongrg

Sponsored Links
Onesongrg

I have fitted one of these light where you have to put power on then off then on again in order for the PIR to work correctly. It was a while ago but I think I had a fused switch or pull cord type s/w fitted. It should state in the instructions if this is the required procedure to function the lights. If it does not then possibley wired up incorrectly?

Good luck

How many passives?

If one, it could be faulty.

Also, The lights will stay on if there is someone being detected in the zone.

Is the timer set to max?

Try looking at the instructions for overriding the passive into "on all time" mode.

Use the switched spur (s) to switch off, leave it a minute, and switch back on. Then let the unit settle and time out.

Sure there isn't a manual override switch installed that has been left in the closed position?

crossed live and switched live in any pir.

maybe he connected incorrectly, or the manufacturer has them in the wrong place in the terminal strip - have seen that before.

Sponsored Links
The light doesn't switch off automatically after set time?

My security light last night seems to have packed in because it won't switch off automatically when it should.

I put it down to a fault meaning new light/PIR as it had been working for the past year and not a hope of someone changings the controls.

I personally hate the things, what do you expect for less than £10?

I have several lights and things but each has its own independant mains PIR

Its the only light/pir combo I have and its the one that packed up. Your right breezer, the standalone mains powered PIR's are much better hence how mine have been going for a few years now without a hitch and these things combo jobbies packup so quick.

Some of these things will stay on for quite a while after being powered up, particularly in daylight. Took one back and complained, next one was exactly the same.

Turned off eventually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back