Security screws/bolts on tee hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have brought some heavy duty tee hinges and was planning to use the dome headed coach bolts but notice that they all have that nut “thingy” which doesn’t slot through the round screw hole of the hinge. I’ve read about non-reversible screws but they don’t seem a popular choice.

Can I get some advice on this please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most hinges have a square hole to accommodate the coach bolt but there's nothing to stop you filing the square off the bolt if you wish.
How about long roofing screws? Dome head, and with two nuts and a washer on the inside they will do the same thing.
John :)

Most hinges have a square hole to accommodate the coach bolt but there's nothing to stop you filing the square off the bolt if you wish.
How about long roofing screws? Dome head, and with two nuts and a washer on the inside they will do the same thing.
All the screwfix and toolstation tee hinges don’t have the square holes.
Not sure which roofing screws you had in mind. Google throws this up for me and they’re all a security risk, given their heady types.

Look forward to your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4423.png
    IMG_4423.png
    823.4 KB · Views: 21
We used to have the old security screws at work, they worked, but were a pain if you wanted them out.
We also used a more modern type that was more like a sort of torx, but reversed.
The head was a raised bump, flat on the top. There were key ways on the dome’s sides.The tool was like a nut driver with matching key ways.
You could use stainless hex head coach screws and angle grind the corners off once installed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We used to have the old security screws at work, they worked, but were a pain if you wanted them out.
We also used a more modern type that was more like a sort of torx, but reversed.
The head was a raised bump, flat on the top. There were key ways on the dome’s sides.The tool was like a nut driver with matching key ways.
You could use stainless hex head coach screws and angle grind the corners off once installed.
Thanks for sharing. I prefer the coach bolts as they can be removed to shave the door, etc.

Ive always found it relatively easy to use a small square file to file the hole in the hinge to a square.

All the screwfix and toolstation tee hinges don’t have the square holes.
Not sure which roofing screws you had in mind. Google throws this up for me and they’re all a security risk, given their heady types.

Look forward to your advice.
Roofing bolts, as they have a nut (ideally 2 nuts or a nyloc) on the inside they won't unscrew

Roofing bolts - as seen in your pictures - double slotted heads, bright plated, various lengths, 6 or 8mm. Usually supplied with square nuts but the threads are conventional metric.

Roofing bolts - as seen in your pictures - double slotted heads, bright plated, various lengths, 6 or 8mm. Usually supplied with square nuts but the threads are conventional metric.
Would these do, or do I need a straight screw driver head?

Also, it seems counter intuitive as to why they can't be undone from the outside and no are they advertised as that. I assume this is something you know from experience but intrigued to understand how it safeguards against this and a hex bolt doesn't. for instance.

Thanks for your help.

They will be just fine! A big broad bladed screwdriver to hold the head whilst you screw the nuts on.
Having a double locknut means that the whole screw will spin rather than undo.......so, push the screw through the hole, add a penny washer to spread the load and prevent too much digging in to the timber; add one nut and tighten up until well secure; add another nut to bite up onto the first one (use a spanner); then cut the remainder of the protruding thread off if you want.

You can use the square nuts that come with the screw, or you can change them for ordinary metric nuts (cheap as chips from Screwfix).
The washer is added once the screw is passed through the timber.......you don't need anything on the hinge side - the screw head is big enough.

You can use the square nuts that come with the screw, or you can change them for ordinary metric nuts (cheap as chips from Screwfix).
The washer is added once the screw is passed through the timber.......you don't need anything on the hinge side - the screw head is big enough.
Are these better than the ordinary metric nuts given my requirements?

Don't overthink it, you're just bolting the hinges on. I've got some with coach bolts, some with roofing bolts. You don't need to have bolts in all the screw holes. If somebody wants to break in they could cut the (heavy duty) hinges in seconds with a battery grinder, or cut through the wood

Attachments

• P1080895x.jpg
    P1080895x.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 16
  • P1080898x.jpg
    P1080898x.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 15

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back