Security screws/bolts on tee hinges

Don't overthink it, you're just bolting the hinges on. I've got some with coach bolts, some with roofing bolts. You don't need to have bolts in all the screw holes. If somebody wants to break in they could cut the (heavy duty) hinges in seconds with a battery grinder, or cut through the wood
Sure but that would make a considerable amount of noise and hence, attract attention. I appreciate that it's about sensible precautions but I am also interested in the aesthetics as I am building this whole shed from scratch. DIY'ers pride and all that!

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say I find it easier to screw the hinges on first, then when you're happy with how it hangs remove 1 screw at a time and swap with the bolt

I have some security screws which prevent removal and also have a range of pig nose screws , unlikely thieves have the right bit to remove.

Sponsored Links
I brought the roofing bolts and locking nuts. Couldn’t help myself testing it on a spare piece of wood. Exactly as you said, once on, if someone tries unscrewing, it just spins. The nut does not loosen. Genius!

I am interested to know why a hex bolt would behave differently?

A hex head bolt would be exactly the same, the advantage with a roofing bolt is it has a nice wide head, which tends to be quite low profile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back