Septic tank / Drainage field help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved in to my house 2 years ago, property is now around 7 years old.
Recently I had the Klargester septic tank desludged. The guy emptying it said the tank didn't look great as a large volume of liquid was pouring back from the drainage field, suggesting the drainage field was blocked.

We've not had any issues with our drains, no smells or puddles around the lawn, no collapses on the lawn either.

My question is should I be concerned or is this pretty normal?

Is there anything I can do to save having to get the drainage field dug out and remade if thats what it needs? I was contemplating getting a karcher drain snake and inserting through the inspection hatch on the drainage field side.

By the looks of it it'll be another few days before the tank level reaches the outlet.

Always been on mains sewers until now but we are very careful what goes down the drain, non bio detergent, tank safe "bleach" etc.

Any advice mich appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Depends on your location, and prevailing weather conditions. Clay soils, wet area of the Country, natural springs, low lying area and the leachfield/soakaway can act in reverse as a land drain and backfill the tank, seen it plenty of times.

Keep an eye on things, bear in mind under normal use, every drop of water going into the tank, needs to get out of the tank, otherwise the system will soon back up, and you'll have problems at the house end.

Excellent practice though already to watch what you're putting into the tank. Septic Tanks rely on gravity and nature to do their job, too many chemicals will kill off the bacteria needed to break down the waste, and provide a reasonably clarified effluent suitable to be discharged into the surrounding soil.

Has there been any work done on the area surrounding the outfall of late.......any digging or upheaval?
My own brick built tank (1960's) had the traditional clay pipe outfall, which had become ineffective after around 30 years use.
I had it back flushed once, but to no real avail so I put new outfalls in using the perforated plastic pipe in a herringbone pattern, on beds of stones.
No problems now but I'm fortunate that I have plenty of space in which to do this.
At 7 years of service, I'd wager that your outfalls aren't long enough or as Hugh says, the surrounding land is already wet.
I was able to lay my new pipes, then connect up at the last minute, which was convenient.
I use a product called Eparcyl or Septo Boost which claims to be a help to the normal bacteria. I restrict the amount of Domestos that goes down but still use a dishwasher and washing machine........only two ply loo paper too!
John :)

Sponsored Links
No IZAL then
Still shuddering at the thought. We used to visit my Maternal grandparents as Kids in the 70's, they didn't have an inside WC until the end of the decade, and used to use Izal as it didn't get damp in the winter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back