shed electrics

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys I know theres been a couple of posts on this but I'm still a bit unsure.

I'm about to stat building a shed so would like to bury the electrics before I start.

I have a spare 10mm cable that was used for an electric shower which I've taken out. I was going to connect the 10mm cable to a 13a powebraker fcu in the house to 6mm cable.

Run the 6mm cable to the shed (approx 15m) where I would conect the 6mm cable to 2.5mm via a Junction box and link 4 sockets in series.

How does that sound?

Sponsored Links
ZenStalinist said:
Not good. If going outside one must use Armoured Cable (or MICC?)

perhaps i should explain.

the shower cable you have has no mechanical protection, also it will "breakdown" over time if used outside.

that is why you should use steel wire armoured cable, as it can *when marked) be buried directly in the ground

other than the armoured cable does the setup sound ok or should I subsitute the powerbraker in the house for a DP switch and use the powebreaker FCU in the shed?

Sponsored Links
There's little to be gained from having RCD protection on the outgoing cable, particularly buried SWA, and much to be lost in terms of inconvenience if an RCD in the house trips.

You've got the opportunity to install this from scratch, and digging a 750mm trench etc is something you only want to do once. Who knows what you might want out there one day.

Do a search here for shed, garage, outbuilding, outside etc, but basically you want to come off a non-RCD breaker in the house CU to a metal box where you can terminate the SWA.

10mm 3-core SWA with the armour also earthed, from there to the shed, into a metal garage CU where you can terminate the SWA. The CU should have an RCD incomer, and breakers for sockets, lights, and spares in case you ever want separate circuits, e.g. pond pump, outside lights, hot tub etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back