Shower cubicle tiles coming off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a shower cubicle in the corner of our bathroom. It is made (as far as I can tell) of plasterboard on a studding wall, with tiles glued on. Several of them are coming away (some have fallen off altogether). I was wondering whether there was something better than tile adhesive for walls that aren't especially stiff? I had wondered about sticking them back on with "Sikaflex" or one of those "grab" adhesives - something waterproof and with a bit of flex to it. Is that a daft idea?

Sponsored Links
We have a shower cubicle in the corner of our bathroom. It is made (as far as I can tell) of plasterboard on a studding wall, with tiles glued on. Several of them are coming away (some have fallen off altogether). I was wondering whether there was something better than tile adhesive for walls that aren't especially stiff? I had wondered about

sticking them back on with "Sikaflex" or one of those "grab" adhesives - something waterproof and with a bit of flex to it. Is that a daft idea?

simple answer is no, bet the area was not tanked before tiling, and possibly a cheap adhesive was used, best idea is to rip them all off, tank the area and re-tile, using a good quality flexible adhesive and flexible grout

Sorry its not the answer you hoped for

you have two types of tanking

a wall/floor "membrane"..just hang this like wallpaper..
homelux..
kerdi..

a "paint" on kit..as it says paint this one on...
bal wp1
weber system ptotects...

there are other ones availible..

Sponsored Links
You’re wasting your time trying to repair what you have. The alternative materials you suggest will not be the answer, the best materials for tiling are good quality trade tilling products. As the others have already said, your problems have almost certainly been caused by a mixture of using un-tanked plasterboard & poor quality adhesive/grout products.

You need to rip it all down, including the plasterboard, check the studding hasn’t rotted out, replace it where necessary & stiffen it up with additional timber studs &/or noggins if necessary. Re-board the whole area with waterproof tile backer boards & then re-tile using good quality, flexible tiling materials not cheap DIY rubbish. If you intend to do the work yourself, make sure you do sufficient research by reading the tiling sticky & forum archive posts which will hopefully avoid you making potentially expensive mistakes.

Oh dear! Pretty certain there's nothing like that behind them! In fact, the top ones seem to be stuck over the magnolia paint that is on the rest of the plasterboard of the bathroom walls!

Thanks everyone. I guess it's a bigger job than I thought!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back