Shower pump taking a while to kick in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a Salamander CT50+ shower pump 4 years ago (replacing an existing one which had burned out). In the last couple of weeks, it's been taking a while to kick in, maybe 20-30 seconds of running the shower before the pump fires up. I'm wondering whether this is a sign the pump is on its way out, or whether it might be something simpler? What can I check?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have a couple of Salamander pumps installed in my house due to low water pressure. Both of mine, one feeding the bathroom and one feeding the kitchen hot water (bungalow with hot water tank in the airing cupboard)". I mine don't kick in immediatly although they did when they were new three years ago. I have put it down to the reed switches that have to activate to open the valves. I have read on here that Salamander pumps are not the best in the world and don't last that long so I am resigned to replacing mine when the time comes. We had a similar problem in our other house for exactly the same reasons and that pump was replaced three times in the 30 years we were there. I did try to fix one but once I took it apart I couldn't get it to re-seal and chucked it out. There are other ways to increase water pressure no doubt but I found that to put a pump inline was, by far, the easiest solution.

If I do end up having to replace the pump, is there an inexpensive one I can just replace the Salamander with, without having to get the piping etc. changed? I'd rather not spend £400+ on a pump when the CT50+ is around £140, and was hoping there might be something a bit more reliable in that price range.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back