Shower tap is stuck, won't turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please help in finding ways to make my shower tap work?
At the moment the shower is much too hot to stand under. This is because
only the hot tap works. The cold one is stuck.
I suspect it may be limescale. I live in Luton, where the water is known to be very hard.
Ive only just moved in to this rental flat.

Can I somehow squirt descaling liquid into the gap of the tap?
Shower taps1.png

Sponsored Links
Sometimes taking the cap off and spraying WD40 works, although it's a temporary solution.
It's the unfortunate reality of hard water areas.

Erm, confused. I presume the shower turns on? That's a bar shower, the control on the left turns the water on and off (probably 1/4 turn) - the one on the right alters the temperature. Turn the shower on, left, then turn the right hand one away from you and it should go cooler.

Sponsored Links
Rental flat = landlord problem. He/she has an obligation to provide hot and cold water services and heating (as well as various other services). I'm a landlord (well, my wife is, I just do the work), and my reaction would be to change the whole bar shower. New Bristan is about £110, and can be fitted in 20 minutes provided water can be turned off. Note that the landlord is not obliged to provide instant repair, but is obliged to do so in a reasonable time. Same as if it were your place and you had to find and hire a plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back