Silicone & masking tape......never again!

The worst thing you can do is to run your fingers along the silicon to get a clean line, it will come back to bite you. I bought a kit of silicon finishing tools. It's pretty cheap and after a little practice you can get great results. Also you get a consistent finish.
Not if you know what you're doing ;)

Sponsored Links
The worst thing you can do is to run your fingers along the silicon to get a clean line, it will come back to bite you. I bought a kit of silicon finishing tools. It's pretty cheap and after a little practice you can get great results. Also you get a consistent finish.

I too use profiling tools but additionally run my (washing up liquid dipped) finger over the top, especially in the corners.

Nothing wrong with using masking tape, especially if you might only silicone a bath or whatever once every couple of years, it's not like you can practice at it.

Sponsored Links
Masking tape has its uses but is not always practical and often does lift the edge of the skin. I try not to get the bead too thick so there is less to remove at the end. I dip my finger tip in white spirit, and try to complete the first run in a single smooth motion. If it needs going over again tne turps keeps it smooth and it bonds better. It is something you can practice first because there will be plenty in that large sealant cartridge you have to buy because the old one has gummed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back