single/double MCB

But without the more direct link between the two mechanisms, would one of them tripping cause the other one to switch off via the levers?

I'm assuming that the OP's electrician just linked the levers...

I assumed that too,
when an MCB trips there is little force behind the lever - the lever actually delatches and is only sent to the off position by means of a small spring. I imagine this is primarily so it doesn't take your finger off if you close an MCB on a short circuit. The force behind it is not sufficient to operate a second MCB via the lever hence the reason for the internal link.

Sponsored Links
...when an MCB trips there is little force behind the lever - the lever actually delatches and is only sent to the off position by means of a small spring. I imagine this is primarily so it doesn't take your finger off if you close an MCB on a short circuit. The force behind it is not sufficient to operate a second MCB via the lever hence the reason for the internal link.
Indeed - and, as I've said, I think there is a reason for that. If there were a more solid link between the 'switch' and the lever, then it would be possible by brute force (or if some external factor 'jammed' the lever) to hold the 'switch' in the 'on' position when it was meant to have operated due to overcurrent.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, that's the "trip free" element which is there specifically to prevent someone holding the lever to override the protection. It's a fairly safe bet that without it, there would be a lot of "bits of wood, etc" holding circuit breakers closed :eek: In much the same way that some people consider that if a fuse bows, it's because it's too small - and the fix is a bigger fuse/thicker wire until it doesn't blow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back