Small discreet aerial options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve recently moved into a property with no aerial sockets at all. However, we are less than 1/2 mile away from the Crystal Palace transmitter, and so I’m after any recommendations for aerials that may be extremely small that can just plug into the TV. Something like this if these actually work?

Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated

Sponsored Links
https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/indoor-set-top-aerials Around £6.50 from Amazon for one like Justin recommends on there.

Beware!!! Signal level may not be all that high. THAT close to CP most, if not all, the signal is being fired 'over your head' like a lighthouse beam from the cylinder(s) atop the tower.

Or make one of these... Works OK-ish for me in one bedroom (but needs moving/adjusting to get decent reception). Roughly 10-12 cm each arm (the braid is inside the outer cover). A similar bodge worked at BBC White City for us while waiting for the proper antennas to be installed.

Attachments

• UHF dipole.jpg
    UHF dipole.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 23
We’ve recently moved into a property with no aerial sockets at all. However, we are less than 1/2 mile away from the Crystal Palace transmitter, and so I’m after any recommendations for aerials that may be extremely small that can just plug into the TV. Something like this if these actually work?

Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated
The thing that all these stick antennas/aerials ignore is that transmitters use polarisation. Crystal Palace is a main transmitter. It uses horizontal polarisation. When you look at the roof top aerials trained on CP, they match the transmitter's horizontal polarisation.

Here's a photo I took in N. Staffs. Here, the homes are in an overlap area with two transmitters. They're different TV regions. The homes are picking up one TV region from a main transmitter using horizontally polarised aerials. The small relay transmitter uses vertical polarisation, so the receiving aerials are aligned vertically to match.

H and V polarisation.jpg

Why is polarisation used?
Having two signals overlapping would generally cause some problems. Polarisation has the effect of reducing the apparent signal level that the oppositely polarised aerial receives. It doesn't kill it completely, but it reduces the signal level significantly.

What do you notice about the design of these miniature aerials?

1726146504993.png

If your answer was along the lines of them all being vertical 'sticks' then give yourself a gold star.

Compare the above to the aerial recommended by ATV. In the image below, it's orientated to match horizontal polarisation, though it can be adjusted for vertical if required.

1726146699198.png

The other thing is it can be pointed at the transmitter. This makes a massive difference to the signal level received. Aerials that are vertical sticks can receive from all around, but that automatically means they're never pulling in as much signal as they could if they were directional.

The summary here is that an aerial which can match the transmitter polarisation, and that can be aimed at the transmitter, stands a far better chance of pulling in a clean useable signal.

I understand why the other types of aerials exist. They look neater, and in the absence of a buyer understanding what is important, they'll often fall back on aesthetics as a reason to buy. The makers and sellers don't bother trying to educate would-be customers because it rarely works. It's easier to sell crap and then offer a refund if the customer complains. A comfortable lie is preferred to the truth because the truth puts the responsibility for the purchase on the shoulders of the buyer. Human nature is a weird thing sometimes. It seems that as a species we're happier in ignorance. When you look at the world, it explains a lot. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've got this Mickey Mouse thing, came from my caravan TV. Perfect picture at 17 miles from Winter Hill.

IMG_20240913_072025243.jpg

I've got this Mickey Mouse thing, came from my caravan TV. Perfect picture at 17 miles from Winter Hill.

That's it in a nutshell. I'm not having a pop, just pointing out the logical fallacy that's often presented in cases like this. It's the counterargument of "well, mine works fine" which then of course implies that all must work fine in every situation.

When we look at the reviews for such aerials, it's common to find quite polarised opinions. It either worked brilliantly or not at all for the bulk of the purchasers.

Here's one from Amazon with enough reviews to be representative.

1726233117172.png

For the 35,000+ people who left a review, the aerial worked well about half the time. Hardly a ringing endorsement. About 1 in 5 buyers leaving a review said it didn't work. The 2/3/4 star reviews make more interesting reading.

1726233462631.png

1726233509911.png

1726233558578.png

1726233690717.png

It would be unfair to say that all the reviews were clearly delineated. For example, I read a 4-star review that said the product didn't work. I'm not sure if they misunderstood how the start ratings work and thought that one white star was their score. People can be weird.

The review from P. Richardson sums it up, even if the grammar is all over the place.

"For a basic unpowered free view antenna this works fine. Provided you are in a decent area of reception"

It's location, location, location.

Attachments

• 1726233654899.png
    1726233654899.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 7
My car is fitted with a Freeview receiver, which works surprisingly well, even on the move. It has the antennas built into the rear screen, and uses some sort of fancy system to switch between them, to select the one with the strongest signal.

I live 22 miles from the transmitter, yet with my car parked in the garage, I can still get perfect reception, providing the alloy roller shutter door is open, behind the car. Rear of car, faces the transmitter, but will be shielded by other houses.

Certainly true - that's why it's not it the caravan - completely useless virtually anywhere.

The replacement was a bit better:

Screenshot_20240913-151749.png

But often only got certain channels so now we have a portable satellite setup.

I suppose the op just wants an opinion on his own situation. As a layman, I too am wondering if it will just go over his head.

My caravan has a near useless, UFO style on the roof omnidirectional, and it's only useful, in really good signal areas. So like you, rather than mess about with terrestrial antennas, I just use a small portable sat-dish. I've made good use of that dish, all the way from the north of Scotland, down to Cornwall. The best part is, one tuned to the channels, the channels remain the same, no matter where in the country you are, and I always get reception, except in very rare circumstances, over-looked be trees, or even rarer, a mountain in the way. I have setting it up, down to a fine art, using a plastic compass, which plugs into plastic sockets in the dish, which indicates the correct sat elevation setting.

Much quicker than the double variable of pointing an antenna, hoping, and retuning, or looking at tables for what you think might be the best transmitter.

ATV aerials has a view on those Vision/Status caravan aerials... even stripping one down. https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/aerials-for-caravans-and-boats

For quite a few years I used a 10-element 21-60 aerial from Triax (designed / intended for use in Norway and a 'gift' I acquired in the mid 1990s). It worked well even up to ch68 when caravanning, and is now doing duty in my sons 3-storey townhouse loft).
Then I got a caravan with the Status 530. That worked well, too (and could be adjusted from inside the caravan). Even when the 12V amp failed, as an unamplified log periodic on a multi-site tour (except one site in Cumbria). Fortunately that site had a cabled TV distribution arrangement on the electric power bollards.

The Freeview prediction checker is pretty good and rarely that far wrong (use site name or 'caravan' as house number/neame). I rarely found it a great hardship to find the best transmitter and alignment (often having a laugh at how others were mis-pointing and using strange polarisation angles on top).

Satellite can readily be obscured by trees/hedges/other outfits if forced to use certain pitches. But the sat finder apps that use a phone camera can make things much easier. I used a dish supported on an old camera tripod as near to the ground as one can get a dish! (Dish by Triax as it happened). Once I had to extend the dish cables by some 20m to get to a gap in some hedging it could point through! In the pouring rain.

I used a dish supported on an old camera tripod as near to the ground as one can get a dish! (Dish by Triax as it happened).

My setup uses a Maplin suitcase sat system - yes, that old. I soon disposed of the suitcase, and the clamps and brackets. I adapted a short, surplus section of steel awning frame. I flattened one end, and fitted a brass bush and wing bolt to the other end. I hammer the flattened end into the ground, and the wing bolt then tightens on the flat side of the spigot, of the dish, hanging below the universal adjustment joint. The receiver is mounted in a top cupboard, near the TV, so I wired the coax from that, to a socket, in the battery compartment, by the mains input socket.

Certainly true - that's why it's not it the caravan - completely useless virtually anywhere.

The replacement was a bit better:

View attachment 355399

I suppose the op just wants an opinion on his own situation. As a layman, I too am wondering if it will just go over his head.

That's not a bad price for a caravan aerial either. Normally it's 'move the decimal point one place to the right'. ;)

Satellite is generally the way to go, though. Most camp sites are in pretty parts of the country, and that means the back of beyond as far as Freeview goes. As long as you have clear line of sight to the Astra birds then you're in business. More HD channels, too.

We have quite a few canals in my bit of Cheshire. There's a branch of the Shropshire Union Canal, and we're close to the Trent & Mersey Canal, plus the River Weaver is navigable. Since the canals tend to connect areas of population, there's a bit more chance of some Freeview reception, even if the canals are sometimes in lower lying areas. I've supplied quite a few Logs and mini Logs for the boating crowd. They work pretty well.

There's quite a few boat owners though now switching to streaming off the back of their 4G/5G contract and using a phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back