small lock for bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - i want to put on a night latch on the bedroom door...i want a small lock preferbsly 40mm or smaller...trouble is there doesnt seem to be enough of the door frame next to the wall to attach the bit that the lock goes in....if you know what i mean....what do you suggest ?....i was thinking of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YORK-NIGH...3?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item2a16a1093b

but like i said the bit that the lock goes into is too wide and wont fit the small amount of door frame that have.. :?:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well i'd either set it into the wall and make good any plastering or cut the thing in half

lol..not in a besdist, its my teenage kids bedroom...cant really dig out the wall, just been skimmed, decorated and new carpet fitted....

Sponsored Links
the staple ("keep") is not as wide as it looks in the first photo. The flat part with the screw holes goes onto the frame, side on, in the gap between the door and the frame (you recess it with a chisel). In the diagram below you can just make out how it fits.

if you look at the third pic, that's how it looks from inside the room. You will have to cut away the architrave a bit to let the staple go flush against the edge of the "frame"

You could fit a mortice lock.

Does he want his privacy or are you locking him out

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back