Solid walls below subfloor - no airflow!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got all the floorboards up throughout my Victorian semi, and have discovered that although the bearer walls are honeycombed, the main supporting walls that divide the rooms on the ground floor are completely solid with no airflow from one space to another.

This means that the two rooms with airbricks (living room at front and dining room at back) have some airflow, but the kitchen is entirely unventilated (no airbricks and sealed off from other spaces below subfloor) and same in hallway.

I’m adding airbricks where I can on external walls, but want to also allow air movement through the spaces.

Do I just drill/ knock a single brick out here and there along the walls? Or do I need to replace each brick I remove with a masonry air brick to maintain some sense of structure to the brickwork, given that they are the key supporting walls?

Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back