South African call centres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else noticed a recent move to call centres being based in South Africa? In the last year, Esure, OVO and Morrisons all seem to have moved there, as have some of Virgin Media's operations.

A couple of weeks ago, I rang OVO to change from direct debits to paying on demand. I am well in credit anyway, but mainly I just fancied a change for a few months. On each of the past three days, I have received a phone call from OVO asking me to go onto a "Payment Plan". I tell them I have plenty of money, but I just want to manage my account differently. Today, I was told I would be reported to credit reference agencies for not having a direct debit. They also implied that if my account went into negative territory, that would affect my credit score. It's been many years since I paid this way. But isn't the whole idea that you use the energy and end up owing the supplier money, which you then settle when your bill comes?

This second bit is nothing to do with them being based in South Africa. They have all been extremely nice and polite.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How do you know that they are in South Africa?

Sorry, I am not doubting you.

I can see why they would want you to continue to be on DD given that you have credit- meaning that potentially, they are in a continual state of earning interest on your credit.

The fact that they have openly warned/threatened you that moving on to a pay as you use tariff (might harm your) credit does concern me.

If you don't have a Twitter/X account, I hope you open one and ask OVO why their customer agents are so aggressive.

If you go down that path, please do post back. If you don't get satisfaction it will potentially help others considering OVO.

Has anyone else noticed a recent move to call centres being based in South Africa? In the last year, Esure, OVO and Morrisons all seem to have moved there, as have some of Virgin Media's operations.

A couple of weeks ago, I rang OVO to change from direct debits to paying on demand. I am well in credit anyway, but mainly I just fancied a change for a few months. On each of the past three days, I have received a phone call from OVO asking me to go onto a "Payment Plan". I tell them I have plenty of money, but I just want to manage my account differently. Today, I was told I would be reported to credit reference agencies for not having a direct debit. They also implied that if my account went into negative territory, that would affect my credit score. It's been many years since I paid this way. But isn't the whole idea that you use the energy and end up owing the supplier money, which you then settle when your bill comes?

This second bit is nothing to do with them being based in South Africa. They have all been extremely nice and polite.
Just scare tactics , but you will be paying more if you don’t use DD .

I can see why they would want you to continue to be on DD given that you have credit- meaning that potentially, they are in a continual state of earning interest on your credit.
I’m with OVO, been with them for years and they have recently stopped it but they used to pay me 5% interest on any surplus credit in my account.

Sponsored Links
Just scare tactics , but you will be paying more if you don’t use DD .

Good point, if you pay via DD you typically get a discount, nevertheless, based on the Op's post, they are not allowed to strong arm customers.

I'm with OVO, and pay quarterly.
As above, they would prefer for you to pay (and overpay) by DD - it's money in the bank to them; allowing them to use it, or gain interest on it.
Paying quarterly in arrears, for the exact amount, isn't quite as profitable; they will attempt to persuade you away from it.

My insurance company seem to have their call centre based in SA, very good service and attention to detail.

That’s going back to 2021

Sorry, I am not doubting you.

With Esure, Morrisons and Virgin I actually asked where they were based.

I have to admit, with OVO, I have just assumed. They have gone from most of the staff having Geordie accents, to all of them having South African accents.

Call centres moving to South Africa does seem to be a trend.

I have always liked the South African accent, especially in women, so I've enjoyed chatting and they've all been super friendly.

Because of their accent, and the fact that I have asked them. I'm finding more and more are in SA when I phone call centres. Can't remember which companies are using SA staff.

Though sometimes the accent can make some words confusing, especially if the person is more Afrikaans than Britisg descent. If one of them tells you that you will receive a huge bull, it's just an expensive invoice - not actually a bovine farm animal. :giggle:

Last edited:
I'm with OVO, and pay quarterly.
As above, they would prefer for you to pay (and overpay) by DD - it's money in the bank to them; allowing them to use it, or gain interest on it.
I prefer to pay a regular monthly amount as it smoothes out your payments throughout the year and of course you’re not paying extra for invoicing. How much interest would you be losing by doing that - more than the cost of quarterly invoicing or less?

Slightly off topic but I have an auto top-up set up for my Dart charge to use the Thames crossing. Costs £2 per crossing with an account and when my balance drops below a tenner, it auto tops up by a tenner so the most I’d ever have in my Dart account would be less than £20. My mate prefers to phone up and pay for each individual crossing at the normal price of £2.50 a time and his reasoning is that "I want to be earning interest on my money, not them". He can’t tell me how much interest he's earning on that £20 but he’s spending over a £20 a year on extra charges and that’s without the time he has to spend on the phone each time. He won’t be convinced though.

Last edited:
The South African Department of Trade and Industry, pays investors up to ~£10k per job created. So moving your call centre reduces cost of about 40% from UK to SA. Hourly rates are similar, but the tax incentives are better. The accent is seen as more tolerable than the sub continent.

Regarding credit ratings, they are correct it will have a small impact as OVO are known to hammer checks in to Experian which will eventually flag.

Regarding credit ratings, they are correct it will have a small impact as OVO are known to hammer checks in to Experian which will eventually flag.
So unless we keep tnem in credit balance our credit rating is potentially impacted even though bills are paid promptly. Madness.

unfortunately so.

one option is to leave or set up the DD again and request the over balance is repaid.

With regards Mottie Dartford tunnel crossing costs. Same here for Mersey Tunnel. £2.10 if paying cash. £1.40 if on account with the registration number recognition, and faster processing with different booths. Getting back on topic, AI is advancing again and easier to set up a new call centre in a different country with lower taxes. I found it sometimes difficult talking to Indian call centres. Maybe SA accent a bit easier. But most call centres have a prepared " hymn sheet" to fob you off anyway.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back