Space saving stairs vs UK building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anybody have any experience with 1m2 space saving stairs from eestairs?
Particularly in getting them signed off by UK building authorities?

We want to use them for our 1 bedroom loft conversion.
Approved Document K covers normal stairs and alternating tread stairs only.
Alternating tread stairs are not an option for us (too scary), nor is a spiral staircase (too narrow).

The design concept from eestairs seems to be relatively unknown here in UK. Presumably as a result, every company we speak to says that we won’t get them signed off, but nobody could explain to us in detail why they think that is. (My gut feeling is that they just stay clear of the unknown.)

Acc. to eestairs it’s the inconsistent going that makes them non-conform to UK building regs. (Ignore the open rise on the drawing, that can be closed.)

<Question>
Does anybody have any experience in getting these stairs or similar approved or rejected?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• stairs.JPG
    stairs.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
They're not a UK supplier, they're Norwegian, that's why there's no mention of UK Building Regs, they look like Death stairs to me, you can find all kinds of wild and unsafe stairs from around the world, I can't see how Building Control could pass them as they don't comply with the Regs or the British Standards. Typically BC will only permit a non conventional stair when the project is impossible to complete without them.

Thank you for sharing your opinion (again). It wasn't my intention to start a discussion about the stairs, I've asked a clear question as to whether anybody has them and has any feedback, positive or negative, from UK BC.
I'm leaving this thread open for people who may be able to contribute that way.

They won't get signed off because they don't meet the necessary regs for the going/rise and the angle of the pitch. The regs are very clear.

Sponsored Links
I would agree having done a small barn conversion , and I mean micro barn 5 x 3.25m anything other than regs is bound to fail. In fairness to the BCO he suggested leaving the bedroom as open plan with a railing and using a ladder becoming a meazzine sleeping deck, from memory the max height was 2.4m floor to floor.

We decided to fit a very narrow staircase, strangely the width was not the issue, it was just head height and pitch, as it was a loft we could get down to 1800mm head height and by nicking two treads worth at the top of the stairs by intruding in to the ceiling all was well, yes it left a slope but it was only two treads worth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back