spur from smoke alarm????

carlbold said:
Just wanted to have a bulb in the loft but the only live wire up there seems to be the one going to a smoke detector
I had exactly the same problem... I just replaced the smoke alarm with a standard battery one (covered the hole in the ceiling that way) and used the wire for the loft lightbulb (No Dedicated circuit for the smoke alarm so I assume it was a spur off the lighting circuit anyway). I didn't trust the original smoke alarm, it looked to be a bit old to me.

Sponsored Links
Is there a connection block behind each light switch with all the blue (or black) wires connected to it? My daughter has a flat wired this way.

If not then there must be something in the loft.

If the switches are wired that way, and you feel competent to find out which cable to cut into (with power off - you need to be VERY SURE the power is off in the cable you cut) you could put a junction box in the lighting circuit in the loft giving you live and neutral to wire your light to.

There has to be, at the very least, a permanent live in the switch, is it not possble to fish down to a switch to get your supply????

Hand up who has a wire coathanger in their toolbox?

Sponsored Links
that sounds like the best option, either that or the live wire from the bathroom fan...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back